At the risk of being laughed out of the forum...

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
rcnewcomb

Re: At the risk of being laughed out of the forum...

Post by rcnewcomb »

The Vectric software is pretty good. I've got their Cut2D Desktop
In Cut2D go to Help/About. Scroll through the list of people and look for my name: Randall Newcomb

I've been using Vectric software since November of 2005.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Diane I got that machine a year ago and use it primarily to mark my duck calls, but I did use it to route the cavity for my "Sjostrand" headstock inlay on the current build. Took some trial and error but It worked out pretty well
Check out F Engrave software. Its free and you can do your lettering g codes very easily and quickly, all in one program, straight to the CNC.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Also if you got the laser head with it, you can use a free program called GRBL that simplifies the programing and a laser burn on your neck blocks would look awesome!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

there are other options out there and beware of the EBAY stuff. The $45 aspire is counter fit and won't work. There are some free 3 d options I have not tried them.
I do like the V carve but agree the aspire is way over priced
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm using Fusion 360 Hobby, and I bought Meshcam Pro. I'm still struggling through the software programming. I've finally figured out the z probe, and have it working and programmed right.

I bought a full CAD program called BeckerCAD. It was developed by a German software engineer, so the documentation and support is limited. It is a full professional CAD program. It sells on Amazon for $100. You can download it for $20. I took a shot in the dark for $20. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm going to check out the software that Kevin mentioned for engraving.

I had a problem with the Sainsmart machine. It started sticking on the y-axis. I think the threaded rod was out of round. I sent it back to Amazon. They sell several 3018-pro on Amazon that are identical to the Sainsmart. I bought another for $55 less. I used the savings to buy the upgrade Sainsmart ball bearing 20,000 rpm spindle. The Machine runs smoothly.