DIY Fret bending in less than 5 min.

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
jread

DIY Fret bending in less than 5 min.

Post by jread »

It took me a while to figure out DIY fret benders so maybe this will help someone else. 1st, the stewmac fret bender looks awesome. I have lots of their tools and want one. But the price is out of this world.

This was a whole lot easier than I thought it was going to be. You can google, diy fret bending jig and get all sorts of great info and some pretty easy to build ones too. But mine took less time than to type this post with just stuff in reach.

Skateboard bearings would be better but all our skateboards went to college. So, I used the router bearings for the guided router bits and 3 bolts. The trick is to catch the left side and bend it up over the right side, then just roll on through. No skateboards had to die.

ps. fret wire is a whole lot cheaper in bulk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: DIY Fret bending in less than 5 min.

Post by tippie53 »

nice job
there are many of these out there , can you shoe more details? Looks like it does the job well
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Can you show more pictures? Close up of the front and back, and a description of how you adjust it?

Ed
Ed M
jread

Post by jread »

i was hiding the details of course. It is shoddy in many ways but did work fine.

Honestly built this in a minute. I have been wanting to get skateboard bearings for this from my kid who has loads but is away at IU. I'll make a better one keep in a drawer but this one already got taken apart as I'm working on bindings and needed the bearings off.

I have these stewmac router bit bearings which I've taken off the bolts and washers off here. Adjusted it by just loosening and the nuts and retightening. These carrage bolts are too small so the bearings wiggled around. Was not really a problem. I just left one loose and a two tight and the wire went through. I imagine one could do this without bearings. Just 3 bolts or hard dowels sticking up out of a board would do. It is a bit difficult to keep the wire from turning sideways but eventually it goes. A crank does not seem necessary nor does super fine adjustments. I was able to match my fretboard's 16" radius quickly and ran several pieces through. The right hand slot is a mess. Prob just need a small adjustment window there but I just whacked at it.

To use it, remember the two close bearings on the left hold the wire in place and then you have to bend and lift it up over the right side bearing. that's the bend. Then just pull it through to from left to right to bend the entire line. If it is too flat, push the right side up a bit. Adjust the left side so that it just grabs and holds the wire snug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Thanks - looks like a good design

Ed
Ed M
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Nice job. And +1 for a kid at IU

We had one Hoosier and one Boilermaker - a house divided!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut