Nifty Little Sander!

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Nifty Little Sander!

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I needed a small benchtop disc sander, something I could just pull out in a jiffy, or keep set up in the back of my main work area. I have a disc on my combo sander, but the table never stays at the angle I need and the gap between the table and disc made it hard to make nuts and saddles.

I found a 5" Proxxon sander, but at almost $300, it's expensive. I'd almost given up when I found this little sander at Menard's, which is a building supply store found around Columbus, OH. I'm originally from Dayton and never heard of them, so they may only be around Columbus.

This sander is a Performax, which is a Proxxon clone, but unlike the Proxxon, it's made in China, not Luxembourg. The specs are identical.

5" wheel
Variable speed 1.1 amp motor
1150-3600 rpm (no load)
120v
1" dust collection adapter
Clamp
6 sanding discs in 3 grits
Weight 5lbs 8oz
2 year warranty

The Price is $39.99 + tax and 7.99 shipping. Final price $51 delivered.

I was surprised at how well built the little thing seems to be. I set the table at 0, and it was absolutely square to the sanding disc. The little slider/miter gauge is slid into the table from underneath, engaging it securely and without unwanted movement. The gap between the table and sanding disc is less than 1/8".

I squared the end of an ebony fretboard quickly, easily, and accurately today. The sander is small, but had no problem with this task. I'm sure it'll handle shaping a nut and saddle as well.

If you're interested, here is the link.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/powe ... 186&ipos=2
PicsArt_08-08-11.52.32.jpg
PicsArt_08-08-11.53.07.jpg
PicsArt_08-08-11.51.41.jpg
PicsArt_08-08-11.53.45.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Bob Gleason

Re: Nifty Little Sander!

Post by Bob Gleason »

That's a cutie, and the shipping even to Hawaii would be reasonable. I already have a big one and one about this size, so have to pass. Still tempting though. Should be some takers here. These small discs are excellent for pearl work.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I used it to thin a piece of purpleheart, a dense and brittle wood, to use in an end graft. It did it in no time flat, without getting bogged down. I really like it. The size is just right for doing 90% of what I need.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Diane- Since the 11% sale discount ends today, I sent out a link to our local Guild members. I think some them could use this tool. Thanks for posting the link.--Bob
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You're welcome Bob.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

And, my ever bubbly Guild members gave me grief because I did not know that the discount coupon was only good for in store purchases. Some people!!!!!!!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I didn't even know they had a sale going on. I bought mine for the "terrible" full price of $39.99. The funny thing is that if I had bought the Proxxon for $289, I would have thought it was worth every penny.

I've used it for a variety of things now and I wished I had found it a long time ago.

The only difference between this unit and the Proxxon, that I can see, is that the Proxxon discs can be removed and reused; Proxxon even gives you a plastic sheet in which to store them. I think these discs use the same adhesive as any other PSA disc.

You can buy the Proxxon discs. They run $11.46 for 5 of them. It would be a simple matter to buy the Proxxon discs to use on this unit, if you wanted to switch grits frequently.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
jread

Post by jread »

nice, just what i need.
jread

Post by jread »

best 35 buck investment my shop has seen in a while.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

jread wrote:best 35 buck investment my shop has seen in a while.
You got one? I love mine. I'm considering buying a second one.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars