Method of inlaying back strip?

Diane Kauffmds

Re: Method of inlaying back strip?

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Hi guys.

I had another back with strip to join and this time, the strip is the same thickness as my back. So, I joined them as John Hall demonstrated when I visited with him a couple of years ago. I took photos.

John, if I got something wrong, please correct me!

1. Here is my bookmatched set, center back strip, glue, and tape. I will be using the green 3M 233+ tape, because it stretches a bit. I have already straightened the my bookmatched set, where it will join, using a joiner and a couple of passes on the shooting board. Everything is ready to join. I've chosen Titebond Original glue. Use your glue of choice.
PicsArt_08-10-11.38.55.jpg
2. I've buttered both center back edges of my bookmatched set with Titebond. I've also buttered each edge of the center back strip. I've laid the strip along one edge of the bookmatched set. If your strip is directional, make sure it's aimed the right direction!
PicsArt_08-10-11.38.30.jpg
3. I've laid the second half of the bookmatched back along the other side of the strip, matching the opposite side. Once I'm satisfied with the positioning, I start taping. I pull the green tape so that it stretches as I tape. This makes the joint very tight. I use 4-5 pieces, then turn the back, and do the same on the reverse side.

I clean the excess glue off before taping.
PicsArt_08-10-11.37.57.jpg
PicsArt_08-10-11.37.02.jpg
4. Once I have each side taped with 4-5 strips of tape, I add more in the voids, to make sure the center back seam is evenly pulled together. I'll remove the tape tomorrow, and clean up the back.
PicsArt_08-10-11.36.22.jpg
I'll take a photo when the tape comes off. I join tops and backs (without the back strip) and the 3M 233+ green tape joins so effectively, that it's very hard to find the center seam. I rarely use my joining jig anymore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Not knoing any better, I've always inlaid them. I join the plates and glue on the inside reinforcing strip, then rout the groove. Since the reinforcing strip makes it non-flat i lay the back on a couple pierces of plywood with a gap between them.
I've seen center striips crack apart on old guitars so i tried to come up with a way that would minimize the chance of cracking.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

MaineGeezer wrote:Not knoing any better, I've always inlaid them. I join the plates and glue on the inside reinforcing strip, then rout the groove. Since the reinforcing strip makes it non-flat i lay the back on a couple pierces of plywood with a gap between them.
I've seen center striips crack apart on old guitars so i tried to come up with a way that would minimize the chance of cracking.
On the previous page, I made a drawing that pretty much outlines what you explained. I usually inlay the strip too. Most of my strips are thinner than the top anyway.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com