harp ukulele build blog - together at last!.

johnnparchem

Re: harp ukulele build blog -

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks Jeff,

This has been a fun instrument to build, being new to me; I face problems to solve every step. I have a few tricky steps left, setting the neck (to where?) and the harp peg box with the fancy inlay of the spruce. I am in a panic about how to do the bindings near the harp peg box. I think I am going to use a dremel (hand and eyes) just as if I was doing an inlay.

Thanks for looking,

John
JVan

Post by JVan »

I am hooked now, I can't wait to see the rest, and John, I am sure you will be just fine with the obstacles and trickery ahead ~ Good Luck

Jeff
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I managed to make a bit of progress this weekend. I successfully trimmed the top where the spruce inlays into the peg head. I had the peg head veneer already routed so I had to trim the top to the right shape in the right place so that it would match up and allow the peg head to be glued to the harp neck. I had a good template and made the shape but just a tad long and slowly sanded back the top until it just fit the rebate.

Before gluing the peg head to the harp neck I played around getting it closer to the final shape. I used my slide vise with a sanding drum to carefully sand the arch down a bit. (Actually it did not take very long before I got rid of the vise and just help the part eyeballing the lines I wanted.)

I was finally able to close the box and trim the edges back.
On to the bindings

darren

Post by darren »

Coming together very nice John, thanks for the update.
Darren
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I spend this weekend almost finishing the bindings. I used a stewmac true channel binding tool with a colt router to route most of the rebate for the bindings. I was able to use my ibex purfling cutter to finish most of the rest near the harp peg head. The remainder including the top edge of the rims between the harp peg head and the rims I used a combinations of my razor saw, xacto knife and a chisel. All and all I think it is going to look OK, but it was the hardest job that I have done on an instrument yet.

The job might of been easier but after carefully setting the router bit, some how on the first cut on the lower bout I noticed that I went .01 too deep. I am still not sure what happend. Maybe the router was not locked into position. My test route was perfect. I probably could have left it and sanded down the top near the edge, but I glued an additional strip of fiber purfling on the bottom edge of the binding for the lower bout. I routed the other lower bout half with the same setting then adjusted the router properly for the rest of the cut. I feathered the purfling and the rebate transition. So on the bottom of the instrument the black purfling line is a little thick.

johnnparchem

Re: harp ukulele build blog - almost ready for finishing.

Post by johnnparchem »

I am in the end game of the construction phase of the is project. I have the body, neck, headstocks sanded. I drilled the harp tuning pegs. The neck angle is set and the fretboard is glued to the neck. Also I laminated some black veneer to a bit of koa and used it for the heel cap. I need to set the bridge. I have some bone pegs I am going to use to make individule post nuts for harp.

A few more pictures:

Last edited by johnnparchem on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Sweeeeeeeet!!
Alain
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I just completed the construction and am ready for finishing. I will pore fill with zpoxy. I am still debating between a u-beaut FP or spraying EM6000.

As a reminder this instrument based on a set of plans from Pete Howlett. I was inspired by the harp ukulele Kathy Matsushita built http://home.comcast.net/~kathymatsushit ... s/hu1.html. She is currently working on a second harp ukulele so I get to follow her in real time. http://home.comcast.net/~kathymatsushit ... /2hu1.html.

This is a tenor sized ukulele with the harp extension for 4 sub base strings. The instrument has a Sitka bear claw top and koa back and sides. The binding are cocobolo with a black fiber purfling strip. The neck and the harp peg head are made from Honduran mahogany. The rosettes, the peg board veneer and the end wedge are amboyna burl, the last from a turning block I bought last year. I have koa veneer on the back of the ukulele head stock and as a end cap on the heel. The bridge and fret board are East Indian Rosewood. The fretboard also has cocobolo bindings. It is not perfect. but I am really happy with the way it is coming out. Working with the odd ball shape presents knew problems each time I work on it.

johnnparchem

Re: harp ukulele build blog - In to the finish room!

Post by johnnparchem »

I have the second coat of z-poxy on. I am getting excited. Sorry about the problems getting pictures from my web site. My hoster is having some problems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JVan

Re: harp ukulele build blog -with second coat of zpoxy

Post by JVan »

Oh she looking very nice John..................