harp ukulele build blog - together at last!.

johnnparchem

Re: harp ukulele build blog - one step forward a few steps b

Post by johnnparchem »

One step forward a few steps back. I was doing the final sanding of the top; getting ready to spray … when I sanded the treble side of the upper bout too thin not paying attention while trying to fix a flaw. I started a repair and was making good progress, involved cutting a prufling channel out to pick-up another area near the peghead that was not great, when I stopped and reassessed the situation. This can be a really nice instrument. I am in no hurry to finish and nobody is waiting for it. So...

I decided I was going to put a new top on with new bindings.

I pulled out my heat gun; popped the bindings off, also used heat to take the top off. I cleaned the body and I have some reverse kerfling setting into shape. Interesting with the reverse kerfling I need to expand the kerfs in the waist area to allow it to bend enough.

A few pictures of the mess ...

Starting on the new top. wish me luck

John
darren

Post by darren »

OK, good luck John. :)

It's a hard situation to be looking at a completed body and feel like you have to tear into it again, but it sounds like you made the right choice there.
Darren
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Darren,

I think I made the right decision. I am in it for the building so I might as well make it right. Plus I got to try a bunch of skills. I am putting it back together. Luckily I had the next slice of amboyna, so I was able to make two new rosettes. No CA this time I used white glue for the top, it was a bit loose as I had to use the dremel, and duco for the main rosette.

I am putting the kerfling on a tad high to sand level at the right hight for the alreay cut channels.

johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Dennis, Thanks for the encouragement. I think I am back on track, I have every thing back together again, except for the bindings. I have the channels cut and ready for the binding. After my last attempt, this time my binding channels are perfect, just where I want them. I did figure out why I messed up my last set, followed by my poor attempt to hide the error. I use a stewmac tower jig. It works OK as long as you have the correct bearing except the last time I used it. There is a little screw that holds the plastic donut on to the router carriage. This came loose on mine, and there was something holding the donut skewed through the time I set the height and tested it. While doing the routing the shaking and gravity tighted the donut to the carriage resulting in a deeper cut than I wanted. I found this out today, because it happend again! but on my second test pass. Finally up is not down, red is not blue there is reason in the world I understand why the channel height changed the last time.

So now with a top of the corrrect thickness, glued to the body and the binding channel cut and ready, I should be ready to finish the construction the second time tomorrow. I am really happy I tore the top off and remade it. I learned how to retop an instrument and change the bindings keeping overal depth the same.

Darryl Young

Re: harp ukulele build blog - back on track!

Post by Darryl Young »

Bravo! Nice repair job John! You are right, repair is a different skill set.
Slacker......
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks Darryl.

The bindings are back on without the messed up top or purfling lines. Now I am really glad I changed the top!

darren

Post by darren »

Looks good John.
Darren
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I have it back in the finishing room. I cleaned everything up drop filled with CA where needed and applied Z-Poxy to the sides and the back.

I should able able to spray starting this weekend. I also included a picture of the Uk assembled. Who could see the obvious non cosmetic mistake? I will probably leave it but if I am really bothered I could fix it as well.

darren

Post by darren »

16th fret marker? Not a uke player but just a guess. :)
Darren
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

darren wrote:16th fret marker? Not a uke player but just a guess. :)
Yup:)