Free Tenor Ukulele Plan

Stray Feathers

Free Tenor Ukulele Plan

Post by Stray Feathers »

In a previous thread I was asking about ukulele intonation. I found some answers in this plan (new to me) for tenor ukulele, by Robert Lattuga of Oaktown Strings, which is free (along with other plans) to download for personal use. The most important new information for me was instruction to compensate the scale length by .100" at the saddle (allowing more room for intonation). I could not find information about that anywhere else. It makes sense and I will do this on my next two ukulele builds. It won't help with my existing three (unless I modify the bridges), but I have fudged them so they are playable. Other information missing from other plans I used (Grellier concert uke, Hana Lima 'ia book and plan, and another, source I don't recall) is the string spacing at nut and bridge. These might vary, but as a first-time builder I would have liked a place to start. There is also a downloadable pdf file on building a uke. One error in the plan shows fretboard dots at frets 5, 7, 9, 12, and 15, but the book says 10th fret instead of 9th. Bob Gleason pointed out that I had made the same mistake on my first three, having done what I did on guitars. I have not looked at the guide in more detail. The uke design is more narrow-waisted than the mould and bending form I have now so I will keep those, but it's useful to have another source of information. Here's the link:

https://www.oaktownstrings.com/free-instrument-plans Bruce W.