New Guy

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Tony_in_NYC

Re: New Guy

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I was going to make a joke, but I dont want it to be edited out. There was a thread on this very subject just a few days ago.

Welcome to the forum Joe, but I suspect you will get more replies with generic answers than a specific recommendation, except from me.
Buy a kit from KMG. Top quality materials, all pieces are designed to fit together and his customer support is top notch. I am working on my 3rd kit from KMG and I would never buy from anyone else. Just my preference of course. And my opinion. But my first kit went together beautifully, and everything I have ever purchased from him works flawlessly. Whenever I have strayed and worked with parts or services from other suppliers, I have gotten screwed. Just my experience of course, but thats why I stick with KMG.
kickngas

Post by kickngas »

Joe,
Sounds like a great plan you have there, she will never see it coming. As far as a kit, I highly recommend you contact either Ken at KMG guitars or John at Blues Creek guitars before you purchase a kit from LMI(unless you already bought one), since you will get plenty of help and advice from them on your kit before and after the sale. Something you will not get from LMI.
Steve
nehsgolfer

Post by nehsgolfer »

Let me ditto the advice about KMG.
Harold
michaeld

Post by michaeld »

I've only built one kit, and it was from Blues Creek. I was very impressed with the kit and with John's customer service. He answered every inquiry immediately, and I love the completed guitar.

Mike
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

I went through the exact same thought process just a little while ago (though It was more of a "do i get that Seagull Artist series). I'm a seagull man myself! I've only been here a little while but welcome! we'll probably be getting started on out first kits at relatively the same time

-matt
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

tc you may post humor . just try not to make them look like a commercial post . I like humor and we do want to have fun . Posting that you are selling kits is a commercial post . Hope you can understand that it is not fair to sponsors that pay for that privilege .
Thanks for your understanding on this . I am pretty open to what is posted and will only edit things if I absolutely have to . The rules are simple , religion , politics and offensive language are not allowed . Again thanks for your help and your participation .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
David L

Post by David L »

Welcome! I recently went through the same thought processes as well. Lmii, as well as others were on my list of prospective kit suppliers to purchase from, now I'm not here to bash Lmii or any other co., however it didn't take long for me to narrow my choices down to either John (Blues Creek) or Ken (KMG). I am re-enforcing the feed back that you have already received from a few folks already. Quality Is great and the tech support is second to none. These guys check thier email, seems like on an hourly basis and on this forum as well. I can tell you that many times, I have emailed them on weekends and got a prompt response, as a hobbiest, I do a lot on Saturdays and Sundays, when I need tech support the most. I don't know what kind of support anyone else offers on the weekends, as I have never inquired (I've never needed to), but I could probably make a good guess with a high probabilty of accuracy as to what that level of support is. In case you couldn't tell, I am passionate about this subject. Whatever your choice, have fun, post often, and most of all, we like pictures!

David L
Wheat

Post by Wheat »

Hi all, my first post here though I've been lurking for a while.
John, I've seen lots of stuff on Ebay by that seller for a while now. His "kits" just look like a bunch of parts that may or not make the guitar he's described.
His "00-12" fret kit sure enough looks like a 12 fret neck but it's paired up with what looks like a 14 fret top back and sides. I know Martin parts (having used them myself) and the front block on that rim set is definitely a 14 fret one. A 12 fret neck and 14 fret top won't make a proper guitar seeing that once you put them together the fret board will either overhang the soundhole by at least an inch, or if trimmed you'll end up with a 16 fret total instead of the 19 or 20 that it's supposed to be.
The other "kits" that I see here have parts that may or may not be compatible and it's really hard to tell if everything you need is there in those bundles of who knows what .
Check out the other kit sellers on Ebay........this is one I would avoid.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

this guy on ebay buys scrap off GMC and has no clue what he is doing. Steve points out his errors very well. Buy at your own risk
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
darren

Post by darren »

Thanks for the insight, Steve, and welcome to the forum.
Darren