Back Bracing

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
SharpsShooter

Back Bracing

Post by SharpsShooter »

Bought a Martin Dred kit, I made my mould off of the top profile that was penciled in on the underside of the top. There was also half a profile drawn on the cardboard in the box, it was same size also. I then bought a D size blueprint online and got it printed on a plotter, I checked my mold, good to go. I then fitted the sides in, good so far. I then checked my bracing and other peices to make sure that everything is OK. The only problem that I found "If it's a problem" is that the back braces are shy of touching the edges, by up to a quarter inch. I phoned Martin and they told me that the back braces dont actually make it to the kerfing, but everything that I've read so far points in the other direction. Has anyone else had to deal with this.

Thanks,
Brian.
tippie53

Re: Back Bracing

Post by tippie53 »

The braces that do go into the kerfing are the main X braces and truss rod brace on the top. On the back all 4 braces to get in letted into the kerfing. If you made you mold to the outside of the black line , the mold may be too wide.
I do make the molds for Martin for GMC . What is the size of your mold ? If the braces are 1/4 inch short ,that would be fine as the kerfing is 1/4 inch . that allows you 1/8 inch into the kerfing.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
SharpsShooter

Post by SharpsShooter »

The bracing will be fine, I was under the impression that it had to go thru the side. But upon further contemplation thought that when you route for the binding, the bracing no longer goes thru the sides. If I would of had thought a bit more about it I proabably could of had answered my own question. It's just that I would like this project to come out as close to perfect as I can get it.

Thanks,
Brian.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Well...it does go into the sides, sometimes through, but when you route the plate flush with the sides, it too is cut flush. You just need to make sure you can locate the top or back easily when you go to glue it up so that you can center it side to side and front to back with little or no thought. You dont want to end up with a crooked top or back!!
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

[quote=You dont want to end up with a crooked top or back!![/quote]

Been there, done that! At least my sister got a nice sounding FREE guitar.

Tim B
Tim Benware