-kits

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Chardo

-kits

Post by Chardo »

Hi John
What are the differences between your kits and the Martin kits you have for sale?
If it's to loud ...
ruby@magpage.com

Re: -kits

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Let me take a stab at that.

When you order a Blues Creek kit, you get to pick the guitar shape, the neck length, the nut width, the bracing pattern, the top wood, the back and sides wood, the neck wood, the tuner style, the back strap pattern, the binding and purfling patterns, the rosette, even the soundhole size. With a Martin or Stew Mac kit, your options are limited to what they offer.

In addition, after a couple of kits, you can choose to do a few of the steps yourself. Glue the plates, install the rosette, make the kerfed linings and head and tail blocks, even make the neck.

I am on #7 right now, and both #6 and 7 are totally scratch built. But I consider my first 2 complete kits and next 3 partial kits to be a very valuable part of my lutherie education. Thanks John

Ed
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Martin kits are the same as what you get from CF Martin. My kits are higher end and more custom per the buyer. If you wanted a kit with the old Tee bar neck I can do that. You want a 1950's D18 we can do that.
I use wood fretboard and bridge Martin uses richlite. I also back the kit with building support
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

I am convinced of johns support. I won't be buying anywhere else.
I thought you guys were all mind readers and would know what I wanted to know not necessarily what i typed.
So... For a first build which kit should i choose, a less exspenive Martin kit (from John) or one of Johns higher quallity more customizable kits.
I would like to build a small bodied mahogany guitar with either a spruce or mahogany top. Probably 14 frets to the body.
Nothing is set in stone but these are my thoughts.
If it's to loud ...
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Just me, but I am not interested in "D" bodies and much prefer smaller ones. My first guitar was a pre-1928 L-1, very pretty shape and nice sounding guitar. I built it without inlays on the board, a simple inlay on the head, and no purfling. This let me concentrate on the hard parts. Second one I did herringbone purfling and that boosted my confidence immensely. I am not sure it has to cost more if you pick a simpler wood like mahogany or maple - save the exotic stuff for later. Actually, I have concentrated on local woods like Maple, Osage Orange, Oak, and Ash

Just me

Ed
Ed M
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

My tastes have moved to smaller body guitars too. I still love my jumbo but find smaller guitars more comfortable. They sound great too.
If it's to loud ...