Stew Mac bolt on neck joint fit

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
tippie53

Re: Stew Mac bolt on neck joint fit

Post by tippie53 »

please post some pics we can clarify . As far as bottoming out to the neck block you don't want to do that but side to side is another thing entirely
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jmusic

Post by jmusic »

I attached two pics showing the neck fit on the parts from Stew Mac. Please keep in mind that this is a dry fit, and I haven't started construction yet. I just placed the sides in the neck joint and tightened the neck bolts. The sides aren't attached at the tail block yet.

With the joint tight, there is .030" clearance between the end of the neck tenon and the bottom of the neck block mortise, as measured in the top of the gap looking down as in the pic. It looks to me for the moment that I should okay with that. I will reevaluate once the neck angle is actually set.

Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I think as long as you unmistakably have clearance between the end of the tenon and the bottom of the slot you should be okay. 0.030" is probably enough, though I might be inclined to increase it to maybe 0.050" for insurance. I doubt the wood could ever compress enough to take up 0.030", but I tend to worry.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion