Plans for a 00-21 or similar?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
noyage

Plans for a 00-21 or similar?

Post by noyage »

Hello All,

I purchased Bill Cory's book maybe 2 years ago have been lurking here and at the old forum since then. My New Year's resolution is to build from a kit this year. I'd like to build a slotted headstock 12-fret 00 but can't seem to find any plans. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks much,
-rick
tippie53

Re: Plans for a 00-21 or similar?

Post by tippie53 »

thanks for joining . We hope you have some fun and find answers to your questions .. I can tell you that I have not seen a plan for this design. I can provide you with tracings for this size as I have the actual Martin tracing . Contact me at Blues Creek Guitars . We are here to help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

Rick, a couple of questions first, then I'll comment on plans

1 - Martin does not show a "00-21" in their listings - the only one is the Kinston Trio sig model which is not available any more

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/cho ... ton%20Trio

In fact currently Martin only shows a couple of 12 fret double oughts - they seem to all have short scale, vee necks and wide fretboards. Make sure that is what you want.

2 - Do you want this as a true kit? That is, do you want sides bent, the neck shaped, bridge premade to 00 specs? That may be tricky - you may have to have John or Steve Kovacik or someone like that make some special parts for you (finding a 2-3/8 pyramid bridge and 1-7/8 vee neck might be hard).

3 - Or do you want the plans to custom make your own double ought from scratch? If so I would suggest getting any of the good triple ought plans available (StewMac, LMI, others) and Scott Antes "parlor/small concert" plans (LMI) and using dimentions from Martins website or John's tracings to create the body size in between. Martins site says that the bracing on 00's is standard non-scalloped 1/4 and you can get some good ideas of bracing from this wonderful article

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.y ... ND-CLIP-AD

I have built both a 12 fret long scale 000 (Kovacik kit) and the LMI parlor (which is more or less a single ought) - it would be quite easy to make a compromise in between them but I think it will be a scratch build instead of a kit.

Two comments about the Antes plans - they are thought to be "over braced" (I scalloped the heck out of mine) and they are drawn as tho you were looking thru the top rather than from the back - it is easy to build a "lefty".

Here is a link to the old forum showing both my guitars - you can get some ideas about one half way between

http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/archives ... 28_0_9_0_C
noyage

Post by noyage »

Hi Freeman,

Thanks much to you and John for the feedback.

I am definitely interested in short-scale, v-neck, wide fretboard. I did email Steve K. and he said he an 0/00 kit was do-able - so I inquired here if plans were available - mainly to figure out bracing size/location etc. I'm definitely not at the build-from-scratch level. I'm hoping to get a 0 or 00 kit.

Beautiful guitars you've built. I'm in the process of clearing
out a space in the basement and getting the workbench situated.
I must say - it would be awesome to be able to build exactly what you want. I have too many guitars as it is but there is always this or that I wish could be changed. My favorite is an old Kalamazoo KG-11 - super light, ladder-braced and so comfortable to play. I would like a rosewood 0/00 as a complement.

Looking forward to getting started but moving slowly. I've done a lot of reading but some stuff is still unclear to me - like getting the right neck angle right...

thx,
-rick
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

Both Steve and John are wonderful to deal with and are very helpful - you won't go wrong with either of them. I can try to help also, since the various guitars in that picture I've built a long scale ladder braced 12 string, a koa tricone and a few other wacky things (this sport is pretty addictive).

The things that seem to give new builders the most problems are the neck angle and geometry (John and others have great tutorials, but I would seriously recommend making your first one a bolt on which does limit some of the options). Binding and finishing are the other two - but again, with care you'll work your way through it.

If you do decide that a single ought is right then the LMI kit is highly recommended - it can be ordered with a bolt on neck and just about any level of wood and trim (their kit wizard will help you spend money). I'll also add that I think a triple ought is the perfect all around size - mine has a huge voice, is really well balanced across the strings and seems to do just about everything (little anecdote - a clerk in my local music store has played it and even tho he could order any Martin in the catalog at cost, he asked me to build him one).

Did you happen to see this thread

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=715

Last comment, I did do a little more research on double oughts - Martin did make 00-21's back in the 30's (and that seems to be a pretty well liked guitar in the Vintage forum at UMGF) but the only thing they offer now is the 00-28VS.

Good luck and have fun.
penndan

Post by penndan »

Last year I made a 00-21 all koa and a 0-16 from Blues Creek kits. My daughters have them now. So I have to build some more for me.
noyage

Post by noyage »

Freeman wrote: ...their kit wizard will help you spend money.
I spit out my coffee when I read that. I'm saving my pennies for sure.
Freeman wrote: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=715
I did receive a PM with this link also. Thanks!

pendan - that koa 00 is beautiful. The 0 also. Did you make the bridges on those as well?

regards,
-rick
penndan

Post by penndan »

Rick
The bridge on the koa was a ready made pyramid bridge. I don't remember whether I got it from John Hall as part of the kit or not.
The bridge on the parlor was a standard Martin belly bridge that I cut the belly off of.
Dan
noyage

Post by noyage »

Hi All,

Just letting you know that I've spend the last 11 months reading this forum and also Bill Cory's and Cumpiano's book. I built a workbench and have cleared out room in both my garage and basement. Lastly, I ordered the mega-mold from Ken which looks like will be delivered today.

The mega-mold comes with 2 templates so I went with the Size 2 Parlor and the 00. I much prefer small instruments since I play fingerstyle blues/rags almost exclusively. But still may end up trying a 12-fretter like the 00-21. I do notice that all the kits I've seen are for 000's or bigger...

At any rate, I'm looking forward to joining the fray here soon.

-rick
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

The mega mold is awesome, I've used it from #1 onwards. It is a GREAT tool.
Good luck to you and be sure to post pix of your progress.