D28 Project Assistance

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
tippie53

Re: D28 Project Assistance

Post by tippie53 »

the tape side goes down. That is a one way truss rod . The was what Martin used up to about 8 yrs ago.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I think you need to figure out how you can install the truss rod and the fret board before you install the neck. Otherwise you will never be able to reset the neck. Either the truss rod is not pushed toward the nut, the truss rod is the wrong side or you need to extend the spot in the top to accept the truss rod.
pryde

Post by pryde »

johnnparchem wrote:I think you need to figure out how you can install the truss rod and the fret board before you install the neck. Otherwise you will never be able to reset the neck. Either the truss rod is not pushed toward the nut, the truss rod is the wrong side or you need to extend the spot in the top to accept the truss rod.
The truss rod will not slide further up toward the nut. The only option is to extend the channel in the top but that means the cross brace underneath will be severed in two. Here it is in diagram:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

yes that is normal to cut the Popsicle brace. That is there for antisplit and it is how Martin did that for years
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
pryde

Post by pryde »

tippie53 wrote:yes that is normal to cut the Popsicle brace. That is there for antisplit and it is how Martin did that for years

OK great to hear. I will cut it out of the way then
pryde

Post by pryde »

One more question while here:

Do you recommend not fretting the tongue until after neck is glued to the body? It would be nice to just fret and finish the entire board before gluing it. Thanks.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

You can fret it first , that will make the extension down curl but that will flatten back out when you clamp it in. I have done it both ways.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
pryde

Post by pryde »

OK I went ahead and fretted the entire board and glued it to the neck...

Now i don't seam to be getting a good fit in the dovetail with the assembled neck. I am getting a bit of tongue rise on the fret board and the dovetail isn't "pinching" good and can feel a little play side to side and up down ???

I followed the ACE method/videos and felt like I had a good fit and now not so much. Any suggestions?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

yes the extension can pull the neck up Not an issue if you know you were tight. You can double check yourself with a piece if paper on the tenon on each side. It that still fits then you may need a shim. When you clamp the neck in , is it tight?
we will get you through this and feel free to call me if you need to.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
pryde

Post by pryde »

tippie53 wrote:yes the extension can pull the neck up Not an issue if you know you were tight. You can double check yourself with a piece if paper on the tenon on each side. It that still fits then you may need a shim. When you clamp the neck in , is it tight?
we will get you through this and feel free to call me if you need to.
OK clamping the neck (at/around the 15th fret) pushes the dovetail a bit further down but then that increases the tongue rise, make sense I hope?

When clamped in, I can just slide a piece of paper into the lower and center parts of the joint but not at the top toward the fret board. It is tighter up there. Best to illustrate with a photo I think to see the current situation:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.