Rosewood Repair Q

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
AceBSpankin

Rosewood Repair Q

Post by AceBSpankin »

This is my first post, question so be gentle!!
And it is a very fitting "NEWB" question, First off let say that I am using Fish glue.
I am gluing my rosewood back on to the sides in a mold. I drilled 3/8 hardwood dowels every 2 1/2in. all the way around to tie the banding too.
I am using 3/4 rubber bands from SM as my clamping device.
I left the back piece of wood too big............I should have trimmed it smaller, like a 1/4in. bigger than finished "D"size.
Yes!!
I cracked a piece off on the lower bout when I was banding the glue job...............dumb, DUMB !!
It worked flawlessly on the top so...I ASSUMED.

Now the question, how do I fix it???
IT is only 1/8 strip for 2in. on a curve, so not a lot.
Their is still a ledge for the existing top and the half moon sliver to glue to.
Their is some glue residue, do I get rid of it, some how or add some new too it and the piece that broke off tomorrow??
I have some thin super glue I can use to soak in the crack afterword.
OR all fish glue, all the time!!!
On the crack/seam and to glue it back to the kerf??
Please help, I have made it this far!!!!!!!!!!!! I can smell the tru oil and shellac.

Thank you for your time and help in advance!!
ACE

PS I first asked this question in the beginners question area!!
johnnparchem

Re: Rosewood Repair Q

Post by johnnparchem »

These breaks are clean and can just be glued in place. On rosewood I use CA, leave the broken edge alone, You can use water to get the fish glue off the original gluing surfaces. Put the broken piece in place, hold it there, fingers, pencil eraser, stick ... put a very small amount of thin ca on the crack and it should wick to the crack. Hold it for a minute or spray with accelerator after 20seconds or so. Then you can let go. To be sure you can run more CA along the brake and between the kerfed lining and the back holding it firm against the linings.
AceBSpankin

Re: Rosewood Repair Q

Post by AceBSpankin »

Thanks for the help.
I glued it back in and its like it never happened!!
I used fish glue on the kerf seam cause that's what I used everywhere else.
Then put waterthin superglue on the split.