How many guitars?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
hummingbird

How many guitars?

Post by hummingbird »

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum. I plan on starting my first build a j-185 in the spring. I've been absorbing all the info I can find for about a year now. Its great to see there is a wealth of information in this forum and everyone is willing to share their experience.

I have my first build planned out, I also know what my 2nd, 3rd and 4th builds will be. After building these guitars I can't imagine ever parting with them. After all the effort I think I would not be willing to part with them for money or any other reason. I don't expect this to be a source of income but more of a hobby.

So my question for fun or just curiosity is... How many guitars have you built before you started giving them away or selling them? How many do you still have that you will never part with?
Alain
Tony_in_NYC

Re: How many guitars?

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

The second guitar I built was for my brother...so I guess I have only kept one so far. #3 is for me as well. #4 and #5 are for paying customers.
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

Welcome to the forum! The answers are going to be various as we are all different and some of the answers won't necessarily be applicable to anyone else. Like me, for example (I know I've mentioned this all before)... I dabbled with electric parts guitars for 20 years, did mild repairs at a Martin dealership, worked as a setup tech in a guitar factory, read every book on building or setup I could find, and generally planned to make one for 16 years, all before I worked up the courage to try to build a kit guitar. I think I was ready! LOL. The first guitar I kept. I love it. The second guitar I sold for cheap to a friend. The third guitar is in process for another friend and I charged a little more for it. Number four, a little more, a BRW OM for a friend of a friend, and I will start it this winter.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hi Levon, and welcome to the forum. I think you will enjoy the building process with all the comraderie and help you will get here.

I am building my 4th guitar right now. The first was from an LMI kit and I have that guitar. The second was a scratch built and I sold it to my boss (yes, I still have a job)! The third was scratch build and I gave it to my son-in-law. The 4th will be given to my son-in-laws brother. Number 5 is a commission build and I am obtaining the materials for that one now. It is for a young man residing in England.
So although I never figured to build them to sell, I am doing that if someone is interested in paying me. It is a bit scary, but I figure I can always make another to replace it if I mess it up along the way
#6 and #7 will be for my Pastor and for me......unless someone wants commission a build by then, and those will go on the back burner.

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I started selling on #6 and I am on 115 now . I love what I do.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
darren

Post by darren »

I told someone the other day I would start giving them away after 5 or 6...she said 'why do you need 6 guitars?' Ha!... Well I have 5 right now (only 2 are my builds) so I guess I'll be giving them away sooner than I thought.
Darren
darren

Post by darren »

tippie53 wrote:snip/... I am on 115 now . .../snip

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darren
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

First guitar has become my daily player, a little 000 sized finger picker. My son, who is a wood worker and has built some electrics joked that I should build him a classical, that was #2 and was a Christmas gift 5 years ago. A 12 string and mandolin followed (mine), then an 0 sized parlor for my daughter. The ladder braced 12 string and koa tricone followed (again, for me) as well as a current project that will be given away to a young player who I don't know (long story). I currently have wood for two Weissenborns - one will be "sold" to a friend (the agreement is that he'll pay for materials and by me a nice bottle of wine, plus give me some lap steel lessons) the second will be mine. A clerk in our local music strore has played my #1 and #5 and has asked me to build something for him (ironically he can get any Martin or Guild at store price, he wants me to make him an 000). I haven't yet decide to do this. Several people have also expressed interest in both the ladder braced guitar and my resonators.......

As I have learned more about building, neck setting and setups I have obtained several "yard sale" guitars for small prices and rebuilt them to give away to young musicians who cannot afford a nice guitar. It is good practice for me to learn repair and they get a playable instrument to start learning at no cost. Some members of another forum have helped by donating strings, tuners, cases, and other swag. Musicians helping musicians.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

darren wrote:I told someone the other day I would start giving them away after 5 or 6...she said 'why do you need 6 guitars?' Ha!... Well I have 5 right now (only 2 are my builds) so I guess I'll be giving them away sooner than I thought.
Obviously that woman does not play guitar. 6 guitars is obviously not enough. You need a dread, 0, 00, 000, jumbo and thats just to start. You then need 12 and 14 fret versions of each. You also need a couple of 12 string versions or each...possibly 12 string 12 and 14 fret variations, a couple of electrics, and then you could start making more obscure models.
So by my count, just a "basic" collection would bring you to well over 6 guitars!
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

It's also very convenient to keep a guitar in alternate tuning, so now you need to repeat your favorites, yet keep them in Drop D, DADGAD, and whatever else tickles yer fancy.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan