How many guitars?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Tony_in_NYC

Re: How many guitars?

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Good point. I also forgot about tri-cones, dobros, dulcimers, lap steele and many others. I need a bigger house.
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

I currently have three six strings (old D18, old Yammie, my first gutiar, and my home made 000). I have three 12 strings (old D12-28, home made OM12 and the Stella clone). I have three resonators (really old dobro spider, metal dobro biscuit and my home made tricone). I've got a really old uke, a home made mandolin and dulcimer. I'll be building my lap slider this winter, then maybe a ladder braced 6 and who know what else.

I keep at least one guitar in open D, one or two in open G, one in open C. The old 'bro is in high bass G, the Stella clone is tuned down in the cellar. Don't play the Martins much anymore but they are going up in value a lot faster than my 401K.

I did a little thread on another forum when asked about different guitars (and cars)

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... nd-Guitars

(since I wrote that my wife has added an Audi TT to the stable which seems to go really well with the 0-42 parlor...)
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Kept #1 and #2
Gave #3 to my dad
Sold #4
Kept #5
#6 is sitting in Elderly's
Kept #7
#8 goes to my brother
#9 ??

Ken
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I've completely finished 1, which I'll always keep because it was the first. My 2nd will hopefully be strung up this weekend, and goes to my daughter. I've started the 3rd for my son. #4 will probably be for me.
After that, I don't know. I have a brother who founded Elves & More in Houston (google the site - I'm very proud of what he does), and I offered to build one for his auction. He told me that they had a custom guitar signed by Clint Black (country singer for Tony's info :) ), and couldn't get enough money for it to make it worthwhile. But here in rural east Texas, maybe I can make one to sell at auction. I like what Freeman is doing, and would possibly get into that as well. A tip of the hat, Freeman. Well done.
Bob
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Be careful with the auction thing. People who are willing to pay a lot for a guitar are going to want to sit and get to know it, which usually isn't possible at an auction. My Padauk went for $650, though it wasn't finished at the time. Should be done this weekend. Maybe you could arrange to play or have someone play it during the bidding?
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan