www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fingerboard binding
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:45 pm 

I am building a dread kit from LMI. Things seem to be going well. When I ordered the kit I requested a fretboard with the fret slots cut and the top radiused. The video that accompanied the kit describes how to bind the board. I purchased binding for that purpose. The problem is this: If I glue the binding on the sides of the fretboard with the bottom of the binding flush with the bottom of the fretboard as the video suggests, the binding will be slightly proud of the edge of the radiused fretboard. Should I simply gently sand the binding to the contour of the fretboard? Should I try to gently sand the binding so it is square to the fretboard but only as thick of the radiused edge? (BTW, my spell checker hates the word "radiuses") Any suggestions will be appreciated. Also, what radius does the dread fretboard commonly have? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: fingerboard binding
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:04 pm 

What I did was glue the binding flush to the bottom of the FB and used a radiused sanding block (the same radius as the FB) to knock down the proud edges flush with the FB. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it and you'll probably hear from some others on how they do it.

David L

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:07 pm 
Hello edbanas,
Welcome to the KGF.
Radii?? Radia??

-tommy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:24 pm 

Is your fretboard already sized? If so adding binding is going to make it too wide and you'll have to trim both sides first down the width of your binding. Then you glue it on flush with the bottom and sand down the top all flush.

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:31 am 

Radii.

If the binding is plastic/ivoroid, you'll probably find it easier to scrape rather than sand. The top of the binding should match the radius of the top of the board. Think about it: if it isn't, you won't be able to fret well. The fret ends will be distorted.

And heed Kevin's comment about adding to the width of the fingerboard!