Top Wood for Peruvian Walnut?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Guitar Hack

Top Wood for Peruvian Walnut?

Post by Guitar Hack »

What is a good topwood to pair up with Peruvian Walnut? Also what does walnut sound closest too?
enalnitram

Re: Top Wood for Peruvian Walnut?

Post by enalnitram »

I will be interested to read what others have to say. I once played a small petros guitar made of walnut and cedar that i will never forget. but that of course was domestic walnut.

fast forward 15 years and I've just recently bought a b&s set from LMI of peruvian walnut, because it is the cheapest set they sell. I'm hoping it will go well with cedar top wood I have, to make my #5. if it turns out good i'll keep it and if it sucks, i'll burn it. LOL!

the peruvian is harder and denser than black walnut. what will that do to the tone of my future guitar and how will it compare to how that black walnut petros blended so nice with cedar? I don't know, but the set that i got is nice. nothing "cheap" about it.
darren

Post by darren »

Ask again in a couple months... my current build is a peruvian walnut and redwood L-OO.

Martin, is the walnut you received hard? Mine actually seems softer than what i've worked with (ebonies, eir, hog, koa...) Its from the batch lmi received last spring. I've read nothing but good reviews for it, though, and seen it paired with cedar, redwood, and the typical spruces. The pros here can attest to its sound, hopefully.
Darren
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

darren wrote:Ask again in a couple months... my current build is a peruvian walnut and redwood L-OO.

Martin, is the walnut you received hard? Mine actually seems softer than what i've worked with (ebonies, eir, hog, koa...) Its from the batch lmi received last spring. I've read nothing but good reviews for it, though, and seen it paired with cedar, redwood, and the typical spruces. The pros here can attest to its sound, hopefully.
I haven't worked with mine yet, so I don't know. It's still in the box, in-between the cardboard it shipped in, actually. I'll be bending it this winter. I'm really interested to see how yours turns out!
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Reading RD's comments makes me have to ask, is Black Walnut not harder and more dense than Claro Walnut? I've read others who think it is......but I've never had Claro in my hands for comparison.
Slacker......
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have had claro and black walnut in my hands I have found that both walnuts can vary in hardness and density. If seems a lot like mahogany in its feel to me.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Ken - I could not open that link for whatever reason. Can you give me a short description of the contents?
Thanks
DaveB
Never mind! I got it opened.

Good article. The walnut kit from KMG, that I will start next week, should have a great sound.
Last edited by deadedith on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

deadedith wrote:Ken - I could not open that link for whatever reason. Can you give me a short description of the contents?
Thanks
DaveB

I am going to guess the answer is "No" its a pretty long piece. I can not even post it here since its a pdf I can not cut and paste. For educational purposes obviously. Maybe someone else with more computer skills will help out.
darren

Post by darren »

try download it:

edit; nevermind, you got it opened...
Darren