Adirondack red spruce AA any good?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
hummingbird

Adirondack red spruce AA any good?

Post by hummingbird »

Hi folks
Im designing my first kit with LMI's kit wizard (This kit wizard rocks!).
It's a Gibson j-185 with cocobolo B+S. I want an Adi top but they only
have AA grade. I want to achieve the best tone possible and don't care about the cost. I know the AA grade is not as cosmetically nice as AAA or Master grade but I don't care about that, I'm more concerned with how good it will sound. I like the pink/red grain lines in the lower grades but the sound quality........
In lue of Adi I am also considering Redwood or Sinker Redwod.
Any input would be appreciated.
Alain
hummingbird

Re: Adirondack red spruce AA any good?

Post by hummingbird »

Thanks running dog.

I Just want to build a guitar with something different than one would get on a stock guitar like Sitka.

Adi seems to be considered the holy grail of top wood and you rarely see it on guitars in stores so that is on the top of my list.

Sinker Redwood is really different looking and I've seen a lot of rave reviews. It would make a cool looking guitar that hopefully would sound nice. I do a lot of fingerstyle.

When you say stiffer tops I assume you mean Adi? So do you suggest that I use Redwood for my first build?
Alain
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Wow that's great advise. I did not realize that Adi was more finicky to work with than other spruces. There's so much to learn. I have no machines to thickness sand tops. I just assumed that the top would come from LMI with the correct thickness.

I can't help my visions of grandure. I have to take a breath and keep it simple to start I guess. I'll wait a while before I try to build with it.

I'm still leaning towards redwood though. I can be carefull with it. It just looks so interesting I can't help to be drawn to it. I'll do a little more research before deciding.

Thanks again Runningdog
Alain
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

Levon, here is my Adi topped ladder braced 12 next to a Sitka topped one

http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/archives ... 14_0_9_0_C

The Adi is LMI's AA grade, it had wider and more uneven grain, several pitch pockets (mostly no problems as they ended up in the cutoff). I wanted to keep the guitar as close to historically correct so I paid the extra money for the lower grade Adi. All of my other guitars have been plain old Sitka (altho my first was a lovely piece of bearclaw).

LMI will thickness either to their standard (which I think is 0.120) or to your specs. I asked for 0.150 and had my local cabinet shop take it down to the 125 that I finally used. I'd like to say that I'm smart enough to know how to flex and tap the wood to arrive at the final thickness - in this case I was simply duplicating the measurements from an old guitar. I also had a little more tearout when routing the rosette channel than normal - that could have been either the wood or the operator LOL.

I've played and listened to adi topped guitars (both a prewar Martin and one of their new Authentics) - there is definitely a difference from my D18 but it is subtle and could be other factors (hide glue? age of the wood? player? no, it couldn't be the player). Frankly I'm not sure if I could hear it well enough to justify the expense and hassle of adi - however I promise you that I can hear the difference between redwood (or cedar) and spruce.

Last comment, there is a very good chance that you will make mistakes on the first (and second and third). Your finish may not be the best until you've done if awhile. My humble suggestion is to build one or two out of "ordinary" materials to get your chops down, then move on to the guitar of your dreams (my last one was some of the most beautiful koa you have ever seen, I've got close to a grand in materials. Believe me it was worth the wait)
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Hi Freeman

Nice 12 stringers. The slothead one reminds me of a yamaha a friend of mine had back in the 70's

Yes I know that redwood sounds different but if it doesn't sound good at least it will look cool :)

Yes I see that LMI will thickness sand there tops. That makes life much easier for a beginner like me. I can't wait to start

BTW the AA Adi and rosewood are among the least expensive tops that LMI offers. My whole kit with Palo escritoire B+S (red theme) will come to about $680.00. Add a couple hundred for cocobolo. Not too bad but add close to the same for the tools I'll need to get started.

Ill be ready after Christmas.

Thanks for your input
Alain
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Will LMI cut the rosette (a standard one maybe that they sell) for you?
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Yes they'll cut and install a rosette that you buy from them.
Go try their kit wizard. It's easy. It's a guitar kit that you customize to your liking. With the kit you can also choose several services that they offer. Fingerboard radiusing and slotting rosette service etc.
Alain
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I thought they would. I mentioned it because of what Rick said about how hard it was to work with, and thought it might be a way you could get the top pretty much done without having to go thru the pains and possible mistakes with that type wood.
Good luck with your choice and your build.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

The Zootman has really nice Adirondack and a sweet price right now.