Laminate kits

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
musicman2000

Laminate kits

Post by musicman2000 »

I am starting my first build with a kit directly from Martin in Nazareth, PA. It is a laminate rosewood back and sides, and Sitka spruce top. It was the most inexpensive in my search for a kit to start with. To my surprise, it comes with the back already joined. I traveled to Nazareth on Wednesday to pick it up. Gail and Liz at the old factory (it's official name is "Guitar Maker's Connection") were extremely helpful in gathering materials that would be perfect for my first time. They even threw in some practice hardware so I could practice fretting on reject fingerboards, and drilling on reject headstock! I believe the kits are cheaper because many of the parts are "factory seconds" where an extremely small blemish on the face of the wood made it a reject for a quality Martin guitar. I understand that the laminate makes it cheaper as well.

One thing I didn't realize until I got home is that the laminate kits do not come with a top inlay (purfling). When I e-mailed Gail about it, she told me that it is not a good idea to route the top of the guitar for purfling because the laminate wood is more sensitive. It has a mahogany core which makes it difficult to route without problems. Has anyone else had difficulty with this, or has put together a laminate kit before?

Tom
tippie53

Re: Laminate kits

Post by tippie53 »

that is true. They can shred the veneer.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would it be easier to route the back of the guitar than the top side. Seems to me if the laminate side would be an issue, it wouldn't matter which side you were routing on.
kyle
musicman2000

Post by musicman2000 »

I think it has to do with the fact that you have to route the top twice - once for the binding, and again for the purfling. I have no experience doing either, but I am under the impression that the purfling channel would be cut directly through the very top of the laminate, creating problems with the outer rosewood splintering around the mahogany core. Am I way off?

Tom
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I think you are on the right track. I made a few veneered kits and I always had chipout issues. Also Martin makes these kits from fall outs as you noted. I sell a lot of martin kits and they are great started kits. I live close to Martin so I can hand pick parts. As you found out Liz and Gail are two very nice people.
You are doing it right that you are starting out slow and lets face it , you are going to learn a lot. This is all about gluing and the geometry of the body. Have fun
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com