Binding Parlor Guitar

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Zen

Binding Parlor Guitar

Post by Zen »

Hi Guys,
Ok , I'm getting there with my parlor build despite several anxious moments earlier on but thanks for all the tips here.
So, I have router my binding chanells on the top and it just occured to me that I dont have much in the line of binding cement or similar to glue on the binding. The guitar itself is Rosewood back/sides-Spruce top. The binding is Bloodwood and the inside purfling is also Lmi Marquetry/wood type washburn stripe and i believe its all wood as well,
I have Titebond, Wood Epoxy, and Titebond Liquid Hide Glue. Thats it !!

Any tips on what to use or what not to use on the binding ? I assume strong tape is the only option for attaching it while the glue is drying ?

Any info appreciated
Rusty
RUSTY
johnnparchem

Re: Binding Parlor Guitar

Post by johnnparchem »

I use either LMI glue or titebond original for binding. I use the strong brown binding tape.
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

I use reinforced packing tape from staples for binding. Buy the cheaper stuff, the 3M is too sticky and pulls up a lot of wood when you remove it.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Zen

Post by Zen »

B. Howard wrote:I use reinforced packing tape from staples for binding. Buy the cheaper stuff, the 3M is too sticky and pulls up a lot of wood when you remove it.
Yes, I found that out too late and didn't see your post until now Brian but thanks for the tip.

Just a quick question to all, I have sanded my spruce Top and it looks really nice , so I/m ready to either put a coat of sanding sealer to protect it for now or , and this is my question-Do I need to pore fill it first ?
I finally got hold of Z pozy here in ireland so I will be using it on the Rosewood back and sides, but just wondering if its common practise to pore fill the top as well ?
Should have said --I intend to french polish the top----and maybe spray the back and sides-that will be a first for me as well but thats for another day

Thanks guys
Rusty
RUSTY
Zen

Post by Zen »

Runningdog wrote:You do NOT need to pore fill the top unless it's an open-pored wood like koa or mahogany. The softwoods don't have open pores hence no need to pore fill.

I don't seal before completing all the woodwork. You'll be sanding/scraping to level the binding and the sealer would be lost at that point anyway.

If you use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the tape, it'll peel off without pulling up wood. Just warm, not hot. A little too much heat will leave tape goo on the wood (scrapes off); a lot too much heat and, well, you'll know it.

Thanks runningdog

I have levelled the binding and also sanded/scraped/ and prepared the top so I was going to give it a coat of sealer to keep it clean from dirt etc as there will not be much more sanding apart from the bridge area now. Its just that I put so much work into getting it to where I have it today that I don't want to have to go back again in a week and do it all again.
RUSTY
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Once I'm done scraping/sanding the binding, I sand the top and spray it with vinyl sealer (for Nitro) or sanding sealer (for WB Lacquer), then I sand the B/S and pore fill.
Tim Benware