Bracing kit from LMI

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
darren

Re: Bracing kit from LMI

Post by darren »

johnnparchem wrote:A radius dish is very nice but if you want to make a tools with the correct arcs go to http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/sag.htm.

It shows you how to draw and arc of a big radius. From there you can cut out the arc from a board and use it as a sanding surface for the radius.

I hate sanding so for a 15" radius I also have found I can first get really close with a plane by taking a brace and marking it mid point. I mentally and loosely divide each half in quarters do four strokes on the end quarters 2 strokes half way from the mid point of each half to the end and a stroke from the 3/4 point on each half to the end. I check that against a guide to see how I am doing matching the curve and adjust the strokes accordingly. It takes me a few rounds of this and I am loose enough from where I start that I smooth out any facets I may be making. You can see you are progressively taking less off as you approach the center. For the 25 ft radius I start with fewer and longer strokes making less of a curve.

I clean it up on a radius disk, but a sanding bar with the correct radius will work as well if not better.
+1 to all that.

a plane will do this pretty quickly:

Also - There are plenty of radius spreadsheets and pdfs on the interweb. see attached...

(edit - credits to Mario Proulx, Charles Tatton, and Steve Senseney for the video and pdfs)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren
naccoachbob

Re: Bracing kit from LMI

Post by naccoachbob »

Thanks all. While gathering things for this one, I bought two radius gauges off Ebay and last night went to the garage and traced the 15' on a board, used a band saw to rough it out and will sand it sometime soon. Of course that also gave me the opposite side of that radius for whatever uses I come up with. I figure to use a flush bit and cut another couple of them to add sandpaper and do my braces. I'll do the same with the 28' gauge I bought.