ooo Stewmac Kit Back bracing mistake. Need help!

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
voss_jack

ooo Stewmac Kit Back bracing mistake. Need help!

Post by voss_jack »

Hi, my name is juergen and I am from Germany. I bought the ooo Kit from Stewmac.I started building the guitar and e :mrgreen: verything went fine until I finished the bracing of the top clamping the top to a flat surface. It was quite late me being a bit tired, but I continued with the back bracing without checking for the instruction. I was absolutely convinced I had to do the same with the back. And instead to use a radiused caul for clamping the back braces I used a flat surface and left everything to cure for about 4 days as I didn´t have any time to continue working on the guitar. Yesterday I checked the instructions what to do next and I read with horror I had done the back bracing definitly wrong.
I need your help! What can I do? The back is now slightly domed but the radius is much bigger than 20´. Can I go on with the building of the guitar or do I have to remove the bracing? The question would be how to do this without damaging the braces and the back. I don´t have a clue about this. And I fear to have the beautiful back of my ooo ruined
tippie53

Re: ooo Stewmac Kit Back bracing mistake. Need help!

Post by tippie53 »

I wouldn't worry too much. As long as there is a dome you are good to go. What is the humidity in your shop?
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
voss_jack

Post by voss_jack »

The humidity is about 45% +- 2. Changes not very much during a week
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

If your stew Mac kit calls for using a sanding stick my dread kit does), you may need to adjust the wedge on the sanding stick to account for the change in angle between the flatter back and sides.

Mitch