PL29 Parlor

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
johnnparchem

Re: PL29 Parlor

Post by johnnparchem »

You do not need to glue in the mortise and tenon of a bolt on. I would get the bolts tightened properly or the tail of the heel will lift. Either a longer tool or a friend with thinner hands.
Zen

Post by Zen »

darren wrote:Rusty,
I have not built a 'kit' per se from LMI of that model but have used the plans to build two guitars. The body size is awfully close to a Martin Size 2 so that is what I'm calling it instead of a 'Parlor' which is typically smaller. If you got the 24.9" pre-carved neck in their kit make sure to locate the bridge and bracing for it instead of the 24.5" scale that is drawn up. I know Freeman (another member here) built at least one of these as well. I've used the 24.9" scale in a 12 fret and 13 fret body joint.

Here are the differences between the size 2 mold and the PL29 plan (not much to get excited about) The waist and lower bout is pushed down and out slightly:

Here is the top bracing and a final shot of the first i did in Maple/Sitka:
I found this one bellied a little too much for my liking, whether it was braced too light or a top that was too loose I don't have the experience to say. Notice that the long scale and 12 fret join means the bridge plate is fairly low (and long) on the X. I used a slightly longer bridge to be sure that it crossed the X.

Just this month I finished the second of this body size, I did an experimental (for me anyway) neck buttress system and scalloped instead of tapered the bracing. Here it is in Mahogany and Adirondack spruce:

This is a really fun body size. I think you'll enjoy it.

Darren, Can you recall how you came to finding the correct measurement for placing the bridge ? I also have the 24.9 scale Parlor and I am about ready to set the bridge. A few people advised measuring from the nut to the 12th fret and then doubling that and add 1/8th --does that sound close to how you did it ? And, my next question would be does the final measurement come to the edge of the actual saddle or the centre of the saddle slot ?
I am waiting for a reply to questions I posted at the weekend but no one is online and also I have to allow for the time difference between here and Usa so hopefully you might see this
Thanks Darren
Regards
Rusty

I notice you have what looks like a well compensated saddle slot or is the the angle of the picture I am looking at .
RUSTY
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

10 minutes ago I set the bridge location on my Nick Lucas Special. It is also a 24.9 scale. Do the 12th fret measurement to be sure, but X2 it will be 24.9. I am fairly new at this and for my first 2 guitars I added 1/10" to the high E side, then compensated 1/8" as all the advice said to do and it worked out just fine. My bridges have all come drilled and slotted, so I didn't have to worry about that.
Ed M
Zen

Post by Zen »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:10 minutes ago I set the bridge location on my Nick Lucas Special. It is also a 24.9 scale. Do the 12th fret measurement to be sure, but X2 it will be 24.9. I am fairly new at this and for my first 2 guitars I added 1/10" to the high E side, then compensated 1/8" as all the advice said to do and it worked out just fine. My bridges have all come drilled and slotted, so I didn't have to worry about that.

Thanks for reply, My measurement from nut to 12 appears to be 12 7/16th

So x 2 that would fall short of 24.9 ?

Just wondering how that will affect where i should place the bridge

Thanks for your help
Rusty
RUSTY
Zen

Post by Zen »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:10 minutes ago I set the bridge location on my Nick Lucas Special. It is also a 24.9 scale. Do the 12th fret measurement to be sure, but X2 it will be 24.9. I am fairly new at this and for my first 2 guitars I added 1/10" to the high E side, then compensated 1/8" as all the advice said to do and it worked out just fine. My bridges have all come drilled and slotted, so I didn't have to worry about that.

not sure if my reply message went to you ruby but please confirm if you received it
Thanks
RUSTY
Kevin Waldron

Post by Kevin Waldron »

You guys never use the fret calculator that Stewmac has?

Late to the party but we offer all kinds of templates for most Martin style instruments..... including a template for brace material.... ( it's not listed on the site but we have them for most every instrument we offer templates for. )

Blessings,

Kevin

www.waldronmusic.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darren

Post by darren »

+1 for stewmac's fret calculator.
Darren
Zen

Post by Zen »

Thanks kevin -great info--and thanks to all those who chipped in here .

Rusty
RUSTY