Fretboard fall-off

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Rickd

Fretboard fall-off

Post by Rickd »

Getting very close to putting on the finish except one nagging problem. I worked on the neck joint and got the angle and fit to where I want it, but the last 4 frets fall off. Bill addresses this in his book, which by the way is worth its weight in gold. I'm just not sure if I want to try to put a shim under it or forget it. I'm not one to leave something wrong, when a I think it could be made right. Its not likely my son will ever play that high up anyway, but...... Maybe a tapered piece of veneer as a shim?? Any thoughts? Last fret is probably +1/16 low or more
enalnitram

Re: Fretboard fall-off

Post by enalnitram »

Rickd wrote:Getting very close to putting on the finish except one nagging problem. I worked on the neck joint and got the angle and fit to where I want it, but the last 4 frets fall off. Bill addresses this in his book, which by the way is worth its weight in gold. I'm just not sure if I want to try to put a shim under it or forget it. I'm not one to leave something wrong, when a I think it could be made right. Its not likely my son will ever play that high up anyway, but...... Maybe a tapered piece of veneer as a shim?? Any thoughts? Last fret is probably +1/16 low or more
Fretboard falloff on the last few frets is ok. There is difference of opinion on this, but some people actually aim for what you did. If this is your first guitar, I'd leave it, observe the result of what you engineered AFTER strings are on, make a note of it, and make yer building adjustment tweaks on the next one. What you have there is not going to adversely change playability. A shim under the fingerboard might, especially if you're not exactly sure if it should even be there, and it'll look kinda bad, too.
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Thanks for the input. I was kind of leaning that way, the main thing is that it plays good. Yes this is my first one and can already see myself getting hooked and want to do another. Big learning experience that I enjoy.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYHPCeVRUA4
This is not uncommon but you can plan for it and control this. The key is to set up the sides for the proper geometry. Martin style calls for 1 1/2 degrees of neck angle. While martin is noted for "flat tops" the angle is incorporated into the sides set before the top is put on. This helps to create a straight line for the fretboard. The style I use is a 28 foot radius and this is more to establish that angle.
There are many ways to establish this geometry ,find a way that works for you and makes for a repeatable process.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

Rickd wrote:Thanks for the input. I was kind of leaning that way, the main thing is that it plays good. Yes this is my first one and can already see myself getting hooked and want to do another. Big learning experience that I enjoy.
I got into building, only a couple of years ago, with a plan of just building one, and if I liked it, I would play it. then, during and after #1, I thought that I might do another. now 2 is done. 3 is half done. 4 is started. got some parts halfway together for 5 and 6...
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

John, I will definitely think about what you are saying on my next one. I can see where this is one skill that a person could keep learning new things for a long time. I just turned 48 and wish I would have done this years ago. But, I've done a lot in those years also. I know this isn't on the subject but I've had a Celebrity by Ovation for many years. Always thought it was pretty decent for a fairly cheap guitar, but I can see this OM kit I'm building is going to be a much higher quality guitar, and I put it together. I'm not bragging, it's just very satisfying.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

awwww you guys are makin me blush
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
vacooley

Post by vacooley »

If it affects your playing you might try using some really high fret wire where the frets are low and then filing them to be more level with the rest. I had a vintage Hummingbird with a slight warp in the neck that we did that to. It did not fix the warp but it made the guitar a lot more playable around the warped area.
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Never thought of that. Good idea! Thanks
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

For what it's worth... I had the same problem on my last one. I shimmed it with ivoroid binding and tapered it near the neck joint. Maybe not the most professional method, but it looks pretty good to me and hasn't seemed to effect the sound. Here's a pic...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.