$50 new grizzly kit - good for anything?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
deadedith

$50 new grizzly kit - good for anything?

Post by deadedith »

New grizzly kit in the paper this morning - never opened $50 - would this have anything useful in it? I'm working on my KMG #4 and 5, so I do not need a kit, but if there is something in there worth the 50 then maybe I'll take a look at it.
Thanks
DaveB
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: $50 new grizzly kit - good for anything?

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Dave,
Since you are on #4 & #5 I don't think you would have much need for anything with this kit. Take a look. They are on sale now for $80.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Western ... -Kit/H3098

Kevin
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Good info. Thx Kevin
DaveB
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

If you notice they (neck joint) are put together with dowels. Might be fun to put it together and take it apart, if your into that sort of thing. I just took apart one made that way and it was a bi...! If you do repair work you may get one like that. Just a thought.

Tim
Tim Benware
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Since the owner of Grizzly is a guitar builder, someone needs to get hold of him and have him offer necks only for sale. If he can sale the kit for $80, couldn't he sell necks for $30-$35? I think that would sell.
Slacker......
darren

Post by darren »

Darryl,
they charge 53$ for their neck, I believe it's a dowel/butt joint with headplate and tuner holes drilled. not much customizing to be done there. if you look at the rest of the 'parts' the kit really looks like a steal. ;)
http://www.grizzly.com/products/h3098/parts

oops, just noticed Tim already mentioned the neck joint... never mind me...
Darren
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I may not understand exactly what a "dowel/butt joint" is......but you might be able to convert it to a bolt on without a lot of work, not sure.

Anyone know what wood the neck is made from? One piece neck?
Slacker......
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I made one of these early in my building days. It is a true campfire guitar. It isn't very high quality. They are made of basswood .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
penndan

Post by penndan »

Buy it, change the neck to a bolt on, put it together, and put a half dozen coats of TruOil on it or even French polish it for a week. THEN give it to a neighborhood kid who wants to learn to play. In five years he will be back looking to buy one of your good guitars.

Or keep the good parts. A fretted fingerboard, cheap tuners, and a truss rod ought to be worth $50.

A few years back I bought the Grizzly classic kit and turned it into a resonator guitar with metal parts from ebay. Fun project and sounded nearly as good as reso's at Guitar World.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

That actually sounds like a fun project. And if turns out to be playable, it would also make a good charity gift.
Thanks for the idea!
DaveB