DVD/Book Discrepancies

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
DavisLee

DVD/Book Discrepancies

Post by DavisLee »

Please excuse me if this topic exists already elsewhere on the blog, just discovered this wonderful forum this a.m. Am building my first guitar kit, the StewMac Dreadnought. Am following book while watching DVD all along and first discrepancy I've come to is in making the body mold...book says to use 2 wood blocks (2" and 2 1/2 " placed at exact locations) separating the cardboard cutouts, while in the DVD they say to use two 2 1/2 " blocks of wood. Does it really make any difference?
tippie53

Re: DVD/Book Discrepancies

Post by tippie53 »

I personally dislike that method. I prefer the external mold. I don't think it matters too much. It will get you close. Take your time.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Welcome DavisLee!

Either dimension will work as long as they are all the same. I would prefer the 2 1/2" dimension myself as it will help hold the rim perpendicular.

But like John says, a wood outside mold is a better option though more expensive. If you knew you would build more guitars that would be the way to go. If your just trying it and don't yet know if you'll build more, then making a carboard mold will work (just not quite as precise).
Slacker......
DavisLee

Post by DavisLee »

Thanks much, that's the route I'm gonna go then, with the two 2 1/2 " high, 3 " long blocks of wood that he talks about in the DVD...hope to make many more guitars in the future but this is my first so will just follow instructions for now and definitely consider making an external mold later down the road.