binding and rose wood dust

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
jantric

binding and rose wood dust

Post by jantric »

I have scraped and sanded the sides and I"m wandering the best way lift the dark rose wood dust from the white binding. It has collected in the sanding scratches.... pretty heavy on the tail wedge there doesn't show in the pic but its there any suggestion would be ....appreciated thanks Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: binding and rose wood dust

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hi there Rick. That is a pretty fancy clamping jig you made. Good job.
Are these plastic bindings?
Usually scraping the bindings is the best way clean off the plastic bindings. Use a single edged razor blade scrape away.
Just be sure do this when all your sanding of the rosewood is done. You can even do it after you've sealed your rosewood. If they are wood, like maple, swab some shellac on it to seal it until you are ready to finish, then you can sand the shellac off and you'll have nice clean white bindings.

Kevin
jantric

Post by jantric »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Hi there Rick. That is a pretty fancy clamping jig you made. Good job.
Are these plastic bindings?
Usually scraping the bindings is the best way clean off the plastic bindings. Use a single edged razor blade scrape away.
Just be sure do this when all your sanding of the rosewood is done. You can even do it after you've sealed your rosewood. If they are wood, like maple, swab some shellac on it to seal it until you are ready to finish, then you can sand the shellac off and you'll have nice clean white bindings.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin....yes they are plastic soft and flexible I will try the razor blade tip. I want to fill the rose wood with clear filler so would make sense to do this first as well and then seal with sanding sealer I use a product called Magna Max for sealer on cabinet work. Thanks for your input very helpful. Rick
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

wipe things down with naphtha then you need to scrape the bindings as above , that will clean the plastic. The rosewood dust can make things a little purple
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com