OOO-28 underway

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
rhagen

Re: OOO-28 underway

Post by rhagen »

Scraped the binding down level with the top, back, and sides. What a mess that plastic binding makes - plastic shavings everywhere that stick with a static cling!

Next on the agenda is getting the neck ready and test fitting it to the body.

One thing I did that I will do differently next time, is that I didn't cut out the sides and top over the dovetail notch until the body was done. It is kind of a pain to do at that point. I think it would have been easier to do it before attaching the top.

Rick
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Rick,

It may have been easier to do before attaching the top, but it would have caused problems when routing the back edge binding channel because you wouldn't have had anywhere to run the router against. Unless you were using another type of router attachment. Nice work by the way. Its looking good!

Tony
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

I spent yesterday VERY slowly and carefully sanding and test-fitting the neck dovetail. I think I've got it pretty good for now, aligned left-right, no torque, and a straight-edge on the un-fretted fretboard is about a 32nd above the bridge (the neck is still about a 32nd above being fully seated).

Today I've been working on the neck. I had to trim it to match the fretboard and sand it smooth. Now I'm working on shaping the volute on the back of the headstock. Spent some time online trying to find good photos of what it should look like. After looking at the variety out there, I went with the shape in the photo below. Only did one side so far.

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

neck is looking real good so far. That's the hardest part of neck carving for me. I just don't understand how to carve that out. Despite all the guitars I have done or are working on, I still feel like a hack at best when I start thinking about the volute. I should take a wood carving course or a hand-tool wood working quote.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

OK, here we are, just have to mask the bridge position and I can start the finishing process. Less than 2 months into it at this point - It'll probably take me at least that long to get a finish on it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darren

Post by darren »

Very Classy!
Darren
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey Rick,
It looks really great from here. Two months is pretty fast.
Good work. What are you doing for your finish?

Kevin
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

Kevin,

I'm going to use the Target Coatings EM6000 waterbase lacquer. Not sure if I'll spray it or use a brush. I have an air compressor, would have to get a gun and learn how to use it...

I'm uncertain what to do about grain filling. The rosewood sides have scattered small flecks of white mineral deposits, so I'm going to have to use an opaque grain filler to try and cover them. I'll also need a dark filler for the neck. About the only thing I've heard people talking about on this list is pore-o-pac, so I may try that in dark walnut if they have that shade.

Rick
nehsgolfer

Post by nehsgolfer »

Rick, you can find walnut Por-O-Pac here-grizzly.com/products/H3964.
Harold
nehsgolfer

Post by nehsgolfer »

Sorry Rick, that didn't work. Try this one-www.grizzly.com/products/Pore-O-Pac-Pas ... lnut/H3964
Harold