OOO-28 underway

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: OOO-28 underway

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Rick,
Way to go! Nice thing about the lacquer is you can do that drop filling with pretty good success cause it melts right in.
Your spray booth looks nicer than mine.

Kevin
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

Back from my work trip.

Sanding, sanding, sanding, buffing, buffing, buffing.

Observation: that little volute thingy on the back of the neck is a pain in the @$$ to sand and polish without cutting through the finish at the edges!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey Ho, Hey ho, its off to sanding you go.
Keep at it Rick.

Kevin
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Since I just put the last coat of lacquer on my OM, I will be doing the sanding thing in a week myself. For some reason, I am not looking forward to it.
The guitar is looking good!
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

Glued the neck on this morning, getting close!

Trying not to rush, but I'd like to have it ready by Sunday afternoon so I can show it off to some friends at a jam. What's left?

1. level and crown frets
2. slot the nut
3. set the neck relief
4. set the saddle height
5.string it up and tweak the setup
6. give it all a final buff
7. glue on pickguard

I think that's all, and it should be doable if I can dodge the honey-do list on Saturday!

Rick
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

DONE!

Didn't take as long as I thought for the final setup. Still needs a little tweaking, but will give it a couple weeks to settle down.

Will post better pics tomorrow when I can get some natural light.

Here's my happy daughter with her new guitar!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David L

Post by David L »

Hey Rick, it turned out really nice, and the look on your daughter's face is worth a million dollars!!!

David L
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I am sort of dismayed at the recent trend on this forum of people hiring models to post with their guitars. It is an obvious ploy to distract us from the glaring mistakes in the finished product. It does not take a trained eye to see your string spacing is off. The low E is obviously .00001" closer to the edge of the fretboard than the high E string.
You cant trick me sir.

All kidding aside, it looks like your "customer" is very happy with her guitar! I would be too, it turned out beautifully. Nice work Rick. Whats on the workbench next?
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Rick,

That is a really nice looking guitar. It is fun to see it with your daughter. Tommorow I get to see my daughter play both her Koa parlor and her Les Paul guitars I made her at a coffee house jam. I really find it a lot easier finishing guitars when I have someone special to give them to.

I looking forward to seeing your next guitar.
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out for my first attempt.

I've got a bubinga D-28 kit from John Hall standing by, but first I have to make some cabinets for my wife that have been pending on the honey-do list for a while.

Rick