Martin 0000

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Dallon426

Martin 0000

Post by Dallon426 »

Hi everyone, I am looking to build my first guitar. I am most likely going to use a kit. I would like to build this guitar

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/ ... 0028HW.htm

But I cannot find a kit for that. Since this will be my first guitar I am okay with building a 000 Martin Model. However, I would love to build the 0000.

Unless someone knows how to get more Bass out of a 000. The 0000 Just seems to have more bass and overall tone. I think it must be the lower bout size.

I did however play a santa cruz that had the tone I am looking for. I like a very full, bassy, loud tone, with punchy highs. I don't want a dreadnought. I have a yamahaFG 335 that supplies me with the tone that I love. And... That guitar is all laminate, still I would put it up against most expensive guitars out there. Yamaha really created a cheap, beautiful looking and sounding instrument. And I am trying to achieve that sound in a 000. Or the 0000. Any help is appreciated.

So two things,

A, can I get a 0000 kit?

B. If not, how can I get a 000 to sound louder and more punchy?

Thanks,

Dallon
JRHall

Re: Martin 0000

Post by JRHall »

Welcome to the forum.

a. John Hall at blues Creek can provide you with the kit.

b. The sound you're looking for may better be found in a Martin Jumbo, that's a 0000 shape with the depth of a Dreadnaught. If you can find one to try out, I think you'd love it.

in any case, John can provide you with either model in whatever wood you want.
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 »

I do like the sound of the Jumbos, but I don't want a guitar that is that big. ideally I would like to have a 000 or an OM to produce that sound I am looking for.

It must be possible because, like I said that Santa Cruz OM I played had a huge tone.
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

Well, how about a 000 with the deeper body of the J? That would be a pretty interesting guitar.
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
darren

Post by darren »

Hi Dallon, first off welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here from builders at all different levels.

I think you would be surprised at the sound you can get out of a hand-built guitar. Someone here can give specifics on getting the most bass for your buck out of a 000 or OM. If you can, do some research on the bracing of that Santa Cruz you played and do your best to copy it.

BTW, I have (and love) fg335 as well... I recently completed an L00 that is not quite as loud, but definitely beats the FG in full bass and clear trebles.
Darren
Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 »

Yes, I actually wanted to design a guitar that was an OM size with a dreadnought depth. I think it could have a lot of kick to it. There are some models out there, but I have yet to play them.

http://www.massstreetmusic.com/store/sh ... n-AC510-OM

I think that is one of the models. However, it is not in production so the only way to play one, is to find a used one somewhere.

Even though Eastman guitars are chinese, they are really beautiful instruments (some models)

Since I am building my first guitar, I don't know how to go about getting a kit that will be an OM body, with dreadnought depth. I was just going to purchase a 000 Martin kit and buy Bill Corrys book. And cross my fingers.

I am really excited about this site and the process. I will start building my guitar within a couple weeks. I am just shopping around a bit first. And also I need to purchase tools. But I don't want to go crazy. I'll buy the tools as I need them.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

"Since I am building my first guitar, I don't know how to go about getting a kit that will be an OM body, with dreadnought depth. I was just going to purchase a 000 Martin kit and buy Bill Corrys book. And cross my fingers."

Get a dred set and cut the top and back to OM shape. Remember for some a 000 has a short scale and the OM has the long scale. To get the sound you want I think you will want the long scale (25.4). I build OM's with a deep body to do just what you're looking for. I get the smaller guitar size and the added punch.

EDIT: I added a pic of my last OM Deep. Customer wanted it unbound.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I have fallen in love with the OM style guitars, smaller bodies, but seem to fit me very well. They have a more sexy shape than a dred, personally, but you do run the risk of not getting as full a sound as the bigger bodied guitars. I use sound ports to alleviate this issue. I built a fairly standard OM for someone. It sounded good, very trebley and a lot of mid-range, but with lots of punch and sustain. He asked me to add a soundport after the guitar was finished, before he ever even heard it. The guitar immediately sounded much deeper, even to an observer rather than a player, and rivalled the sound of my Jumbo, especially when being recorded. I made no other changes to the guitar, such as making a deeper body.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the 0000 is a different size that the OM this is the same outside body shape as the Jumbo and M if you need anything in a kit we can help
thanks
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Runningdog's advice is very sound. Building guitars is a bit more complicated and takes experience. In all honesty most first guitars are more if an exercise in the process. There is so much to learn and I think most experienced guys will tell you that the first guitars were not the best ones .
We are all here to help. There are so many misconceptions about these boxes out there and it isn't until you made a few you learn that. We don't want to see you make mistakes that we have already done . We want you to make new ones so we can learn to.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com