First Build & Ordering Kit in Canada

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
gilles

Re: First Build & Ordering Kit in Canada

Post by gilles »

Hi,
Canadian newbie here... Not my intention to bump this thread unnecessarily, but I can justify the bump as a future FYI...

Before I begin, I just wanted to state that I do not work for this company... I found them while searching the internet for local tonewoods...

Musical Forests Inc of Newfoundland is a tonewood supplier that also sells all the wood components of a kit.
http://www.tonewood.ca/acousticguitar.htm (scroll down towards the end of the page)

Here is their mission statement:

Our Mission

Our mission is to provide the highest quality tonewood available while acting responsibly toward our environment, we believe we are achieving this balance. Our trees are harvested in a province of Canada where very little commercial logging as occurred. We have developed new and innovative ways of harvesting, processing and transporting our tonewoods. We harvest all of our tonewood in the winter months thus there is no impact to the forest floor. Harvesting this way allows us to offer woods that are clearer and lighter weight. We transport all of our tonewood from the forest by snowmobile, we use NO heavy equipment.

Just sayin'...
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Hi Michael, I too am a Canadian newbe. I purchased a few things from LMI, Stewmac, and Blues Creek. Usually duty is roughly 8 or 10%. I haven't tried Musical Forests in NFLD but i'ld like to. I just don't know if they're legit. I sent them an email but got no response. Have any Canadians out there ordered from them? Anyhow good luck with your new hobby.
Alain
Winston_S

Post by Winston_S »

I would certainly check into this company before ordering anything from them. They use multiple email addresses (i.e. gmail.com, tonewood.ca). The area code on their contact page indicates that the contact number would be in the New Jersey area, which is definitely not Canada.

The domain name is registered to a Terry Newman who's phone number is a Newfoundland & Labrador (NL) number and his address is listed as NL. Perhaps contacting him might get you somewhere. If anyone wants the number PM me (or do a Whois domain search).

They also have a duplicate website at http://www.hvgb.net/~tonewood. This may mean nothing though as hvgb.net may be a local hosting company where they originally hosted their website.

Still seems kind of suspicious though.
Winston (Kip) Scoville
Coach

Post by Coach »

Hey guys, good site you got here. Am another newbie from Canada. I'm also looking to buy my first kit. Am asking around and doing price checking online. A couple website for you Canadians to check out. Both are legit.

Google Timeless Instruments in Saskatchewan, has kits. Also A&M wood in Cambridge, Ont.
Winston_S

Post by Winston_S »

Not sure about Timeless Instruments, but, A & M Wood Specialty is definitely worth looking at. They have been around since the early 1970s.

Have been buying wood for my model ship building there. They have a huge selection of wood.

Do they have kits now? or do you have to assemble the kits from their parts list?
Winston (Kip) Scoville
Coach

Post by Coach »

Timeless Instruments is certainly legit. I got the owner's name from a friend of mine who's built guitars using Timeless wood and parts. I also phoned and asked some questions, was very helpful.

A&M Woods you have to select the parts, no pre-packaged kits I think.
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

Timeless Instruments in Sask. has kits and also offers courses in building. Not sure what they are like but think they are graded into skill levels.

P.S. Guess I should read all the posts before putting mine out there. Looks like Timeless was mentioned a couple of times. Sorry folks.........!
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "