000 12 fret kits

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
IanB

000 12 fret kits

Post by IanB »

Hi all. I haven't been around for a few months due to the barbarian habit of having to work. Some time ago I built a Stew Mac 000. There's a short thread about it here - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2431 and this is me playing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lM1uW8-Bvk

I love that guitar to bits but I am not blind to its faults given that it was my first. So my mind is turning towards building another and making a better job of it. I'd like to make another 000 12 fret and probably from a kit. My question is: is the Stew Mac 000 kit the only one out there? I can't find another via Google but someone here may know better?

cheers

Ian
JVan

Re: 000 12 fret kits

Post by JVan »

Blues creek guitars has nice kits! They are the only kits I have used. so I am biased I guess....
IanB

Post by IanB »

:-) Last time I looked (2 minutes ago) there wasn't a 12 fret 000 at Blues Creek though!
watergunn

Post by watergunn »

I have only built one as well. It was a Martin HD28 and it came from Blues Creek.

My second, a Martin 000-18 kit is being delivered today. It was from John at Blues Creek also. He even tailored it to exactly what I wanted as far as wood, bindings, fretboard, bridge and tuners.

The value of being able to contact John for help and adice via email or phone cannot be measured. I called so many times that I was surprised he would answer the phone.

He talked me off the roof several times during the build.
IanB

Post by IanB »

There is a bit of John in my 000 because I had him bend and send over maple binding to replace the plastic that comes with the standard kit...

There are some things which I would like to play with that can't be done from a standard kit (and I don't currently have the wherewithal to scratch build). Specifically I'd like to deepen the sides a little.

I'm also impressed by the sound that is coming from the PRS acoustics which use mahogany back braces and incorporate a mix of x bracing and fan bracing (loads of info here - http://www.prsguitars.com/detail/acoust ... pter1.html). I've seen Martin Simpson live a couple of times recently and his PRS guitars sound wonderful
David L

Post by David L »

You can't go wrong with John at Blues Creek!!!

David L
RnB

Post by RnB »

David L wrote:You can't go wrong with John at Blues Creek!!!
^^^...Absolutley
watergunn wrote:He talked me off the roof several times during the build.
lol...Ain't that the truth!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

PRS has been using my bending machines since they started. Last count they have 5 of them.
Brenda and I are glad to know we helped so many.. Hope you all get to the open house this June.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
brmoon

Post by brmoon »

There are several suppliers of OOO kits - LMI, Blues Creek Guitars, Waldron Instruments, Martin, KMG.