Deciding on a kit

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
rposgood

Deciding on a kit

Post by rposgood »

Hello all,

I have decided I would like to build a guitar kit but am not sure which kit to build. My only reference is an old Guild D25 I owned years ago. I actually did not think it sounded all that good. It had no volume and the number of frets seemed limited. I am looking for suggestions on a model that would overcome those limitations. I also would like some help in these areas:

1) Is there a Wiki that describes the various reference #'s? What I mean is that a 00 vs. an OM vs. an OOO. 12 fret vs. 14 fret. To us newbies, these do not mean anything.

2) Why would I ask for Englemann spruce vs Sitka or Rosewood sides over something else. Does the books by the likes of William Vumpiano clarify these questions?

Thanks
Ben-Had

Re: Deciding on a kit

Post by Ben-Had »

That's a tall order. All those variables make slight changes which cumulatively change the sound, look and playability of the guitar. My suggestion would be to go to one of the guitar superstores and find one you like, one that's comfortable to play and has the sound and look you like. Then research the components, size, etc., then buy a kit that matches and build it.
Tim Benware
seanbig

Post by seanbig »

rposgood,

These are all great questions that resonate with me as well. I am more experienced playing the guitar than I am building them. I know what I like in the guitars that I've played, but it is difficult piecing all that together into the guitar I want to build.

Luckily we have this board to help get us to some answers! I was very lucky in that I had the guidance and resources of Master Luthier, John Hall, to direct me towards my goals in creating my first instrument.

My personal suggestions about materials would be to use readily available woods like mahogany and spruce. This will keep the cost down, while still giving you quality components. This allows you as a builder to concentrate on honing in on skills needed in construction. Wood selection is more a subtlety than the absolute of construction.

I love your idea of a wiki, I wish I had something like that when I first began and would still love to have a resource like that.

rposgood wrote:Hello all,

I have decided I would like to build a guitar kit but am not sure which kit to build. My only reference is an old Guild D25 I owned years ago. I actually did not think it sounded all that good. It had no volume and the number of frets seemed limited. I am looking for suggestions on a model that would overcome those limitations. I also would like some help in these areas:

1) Is there a Wiki that describes the various reference #'s? What I mean is that a 00 vs. an OM vs. an OOO. 12 fret vs. 14 fret. To us newbies, these do not mean anything.

2) Why would I ask for Englemann spruce vs Sitka or Rosewood sides over something else. Does the books by the likes of William Vumpiano clarify these questions?

Thanks
Sean Big
Sean@BiggerRoom.net
Bigger Room Productions - Web Design for any size project.

When You're Workin' on Somethin' Good
You're Gonna Need a Bigger Room
watergunn

Post by watergunn »

I just finished my first build. It was a Marin HD28 kit from John Hall.

I went to Guitar Center and played everything they had. I kept coming back to the sound of the HD28.

I currently have a newer low end Martin I got last year. So, I was into that Martin tone already.

My last guitar hunting trip was to a place called Ken Stanton music. That turned me on to my next build. A Martin OM21 model.

Just play everything that you can find. In every body style and in every kind of wood you can find.

I am already thinking of my 3rd build.

Having a ball!!!
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

rp,

Another option is to watch and listen to youtube videos where you may be able to pick up on the differences in sound between models. On YouTube, search for HD-28 or Martin 000 or Martin 00 and you can see the difference in body size and possibly hear differences in sound (you need decent speakers and the recording has to be good and many aren't).

A gross generalization is that the larger bodies have stronger bass and smaller bodies have crisper, clearer, more cutting trebles. Another generalization is that smaller bodies are more comfortable so easier to play.

Another generalization is that less dense back/side woods have a stronger attack and sustain less while denser woods have better sustain and maybe more sparkle. (huge generalizations). Mahogany is lighter (less dense) and rosewoods are heavier (more dense).
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Also, you could compromise and go middle of the road.

A 000 is a medium sized guitar with pretty good bass and nice trebles.

If you want to save money you might use a medium density, domestic wood like walnut/cherry.....but mahogany is fairly affordable.
Slacker......
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Here's something else you can do - got to the Martin sight and look at the different types. A good place to start as they list the specs pretty well.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/size.html
Tim Benware
rposgood

Post by rposgood »

Thanks for the feedback and tips!!
David L

Post by David L »

Buy a kit from John (Blues Creek) and get started. BTW we like pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David L