M&T (bolt-on) Neck Angle

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
tippie53

Re: M&T (bolt-on) Neck Angle

Post by tippie53 »

that is looking pretty good. Did you do the scribe sanding? You have the finish to do and that will change things a little. Scribe sanding using 1 inch wide strips will get you to close things up. You can also relieve the heel cheeks a bit so you won't have as much to work.
call if you want . you got my number
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The guitar is looking really good.
RnB

Post by RnB »

tippie53 wrote: Did you do the scribe sanding? Scribe sanding using 1 inch wide strips will get you to close things up. You can also relieve the heel cheeks a bit so you won't have as much to work.
Yes I did John. 1st w/ 80 grit, then 120. I did work on it a little more this evening & the gap might be getting tighter. I think I relieved the cheeks. That's where you carve a little valley all around the base of the tenon...? I quit flossing while I was still ahead. I didn't want to wreck where the angle is set now. When flossing, it helped to back the sandpaper w/ clear packing tape (scotch tape). I doesn't tear quite as fast..!

Set the binding machine up tonite too. Gonna cut the channels tomorrow hopefully. I love to do binding. I use your Binding Jig all the time on lot's of the electrics I've made John...I luv it!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

nice tip with the tape .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
RnB

Post by RnB »

RnB wrote:Gonna cut the channels tomorrow hopefully. I love to do binding...
But sometimes I can't stand cutting miters...more practice needed! In all, binding came out OK. 1 corner gave me a hard time, but at least it's on the backside & won't be that obvious. Decided to use multi-line purfling instead of herringbone, since I had it on hand. 5-ply/3-ply along w/ Ivroid binding.

I got a little tearout on the top from what I believe is from peeling back the masking tape (not sure?). I tried Scotch Blue, but it doesn't have enough sticking power to keep the binding in place. So, I went to regular masking tape. When removing, I even pulled it off perpendicular to the grain....mystery? Might of erred by not spraying a sealer on the top initially...

wiped w/ Naphtha to show mottling.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The guitar and bindings are looking nice. I was taught to use a little heat from a heat gun to soften the glue on the tape before pulling it off. It only takes about 3 seconds of heat and the tape pulls right off. A wash coat of shellac helps as well.
watergunn

Post by watergunn »

Off topic question.

I am new as well. What is the wood for the body? Is it mahogany?
David L

Post by David L »

Nice contrast with the binding and the B&S, excellent!!!

David L

Edit: misspelling is a pet peeve of mine, I had spelled with "wiyh"!
RnB

Post by RnB »

watergunn wrote:Off topic question.
What is the wood for the body? Is it mahogany?
Yes, it's Mahogany. Figured, I think you'd call it?

OK members, I might need some help here. I just found a slight faux paux in this guitar....my own fault! Apparently, after I had it all bound & a coat of sealer on the body, I put the neck on & noticed that the body should have a wider neck. Consequently, there is part of the binding/body exposed in the cutaway, about 1/16". For some unknown reason (gulp)...I hadn't seen this before the body binding was put on. I does not throw the string alignment off.

I have other necks, but this was the neck intended for this guitar. The other neck's are relegated to other destinations. Since I rarely play up that far on the neck anyway & I am keeping this one (being my 1st), I don't see this as much of an issue for me. It's more of an aesthetic reminder to me, of how construction needs to be so well-thought out! Lose it or leave it?

Another thing that has me guessing: the bridge I was going to use & if it's OK? I put a saddle in the slot & saw how tilted back it is in the slot. Is this normal & will it be a problem when strung up? I like use this bridge as it compliments the inlays on the board.

JVan

Post by JVan »

Nice lookin guitar! I do not see anything wrong with the binding sticking out in the cut away area like that, in fact looks great, should not throw off your string alignment as long as the fret board was not altered. As far as the saddle goes, I'm no expert but being tilted doesn't look normal, it seems like there would be some tuning issues there.