RnB

Re: M&T (bolt-on) Neck Angle

Post by RnB »

Thanks guys...!

This weekend should tell the tale?
JVan

Post by JVan »

That is one nice looking guitar, simple but elegant! I like it. Nice job Rich!
RnB

Post by RnB »

Got this OMC squared away over the weekend. The setup turned out to be fairly straight-forward & went w/o hitches (whew), except for a few frets that needed to be seated better w/ the hammer. The action came out spot-on & is exactly where I like and I have enough saddle to bring it down further...should I need to.

Are there issues? Yes, but mostly cosmetic & none that will affect the sound or playability. Issues I'll hopefully avoid on another build. One issue was the 'nut slot'. When I glued the headplate on, I did not cut an angle into it. Consequently, when I went to fit the nut, there was a gap. I had to chisel off the right amount off the headplate to close the gap. Thus, the nut is a little bigger than the 1/4" it's supposed to be...but not much (.269").

Overall, I'm quite surprised that it sounds as good as it does. Not a real loud guitar, but very balanced w/ a crisp ring to it, just like Mahogany! Very similar in sound to a SPOM-16 Martin I have, that's also Mahogany. Like the 'snakewood pins'? I splurged...lol

3 things that intimidated me from the start were:
1. getting the neck angle correct
2. scraping the paint off where the bridge mounts
3. mounting bridge for correct intonation

Thanks to those that followed this one w/ their input, advise, & compliments. I only wish I was able to finish it when I began this build 4 years ago, but life got the way. I have a shop full of wood in waiting!

johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Now we need to hear it!

You made a great looking guitar.
sbrown4292

Post by sbrown4292 »

3.5mm above the top at the at the saddle location
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Turned out great. Pretty fancy for a first I would say.
So what are you thinking about building next?

Kevin
RnB

Post by RnB »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:So what are you thinking about building next?

Kevin
Somewhat like the one you are undertaking Kevin. It's another OM, only a deep-body on this one. I got it from Tippie as a Xmas gift from my wife...5 years ago! It has Maple binding, an Englemann top & lots of bling. I actually started it before the one in this thread to gain more knowledge about assembly due to it having a dovetail neck joint. Now that I've completed one, I feel confident enough to finish it up. It only needs to be lacquered & have the neck/bridge set....

Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That is a super looking guitar. You do nice work.

Kevin
David L

Post by David L »

That's fantastic!!!

David L
RnB

Post by RnB »

johnnparchem wrote:Now we need to hear it!

You made a great looking guitar.

I've never recorded anything that I can upload before. I try & work on that JohnP. Once again, thx to you & others for the help, tips & kudos.

Since this is basically a Martin kit that I gathered the parts from several different sources, I'm blown away how good it sounds, esp for a 1st attempt. Out of curiosity, I went to Martin's Virtual 'Build your own Guitar' page & plugged-in all the parameters of what it would take for CFM to make an OMC like the one I did. The final figure was close to $9K...yikes! The only thing that different was; I had to plug-in Quilted Mahogany (an upgrade of $800), where I used Figured Mahogany instead. I've since replaced the Snakewood pins w/ a set of Fossilized Ivory pins & I believe it made a difference. Unless my hearing is leaving me, the higher notes sing out w/ more volume & clarity now.

Rich