cheap guitar kit

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Keeperoftheforest

cheap guitar kit

Post by Keeperoftheforest »

Hi guys, im a beginner and I really need your help.
Im looking for an acoustic guitar kit under <200$-An acoustic kit with everythings beside tools.
-An acoustic kit with a plan or manual to help me out.

Thx for you help.
;)
SKBarbour

Re: cheap guitar kit

Post by SKBarbour »

Keep in mind you get what you pay for. You can get some fairly cheap kits out there but from what I've read about these kits, they can be quite a challeng due to inconsistencies, cheap parts, poor or no instruction, and no customer service. Its worth it to save up a little more cash to put towards a decent kit. If you have not already take a look at KMG or Blues Creek. Both have quality kits. Cost is a little higher but in my opinion worth it.
kyle
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I bet, if you really looked around, you could do it. You may have to locally source your own woods. Here's what I come up with on LMIIs kit wizards. I didn't spend too much time, but I found some pretty inexpensive parts:

Sample LMII.com guitar

2nd grade (AA) Sitka top: $40
Black Walnut, 2nd grade: $55
Matching head plate: 5
Sitka dred pre-shaped braces: $20
Maple Bridge Plate: 3.05
Mahogany End Block: 4.50
Spruce Back Joint Reinforcement: 4.50
Sapele Neck Blank (will require a layered heel, scarfed neck joint): 16.00
Rosette: 20
Binding/purfling/End Wedge: 30
Fingerboard (West African Ebony, 2nd grade): 13
Bridge: 18 (Ebony to match fingerboard, less if you dont want ebony)

Hardware

Truss Rod: 15 (Martin style double action)
Tuners: 35 Grover Vintage Style
Nut and Saddle: 10

Total kit: $289

This will require that you build a mold, learn how to bend the wood, assemble, laminate, and carve the neck. The finishing material and glue will easily cost another $50, plus sandpaper and other tools ( another $150-200). Plus a case for $75.

Total project may be around 575 if you are careful, much more if you are not.

I found a local hardwood store that carries a lot of guitar woods....notindian rosewood, but certainly the maples, mahoganies, sitka and engleman spruces, some zebrawood, padauk, andmany other more "exotic" woods that are actually less expensive. I found a huge plank of sitka that, after purchasing and having them cut it downto quarter-inch planks, gave me a dozen or more (cant remember) very interesting, lightly bear-clawed tops for about $10 each. I dd the same for some zebrawood, maple, and padauk back and side sets for about $25 each. The guy that owns the store used to work for Washburn too, so guided me towards the right planks to begin with. Find a local hardwood store, and see what you come up with. Keep in mind, though, if the wood is not where you need it to be, you have to thickness it yourself, or pay someone to to do it, which cost me $20 per hour.

Or see if one of the hosts here can provide you with a sub-$200 kit of nothing but raw materials. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Keeperoftheforest

Thx for your anwsers guys
Sadly, I dont want to learn how to bend the wood, It's seems too hard for me.

Building a guitar is my high school project,I need to buy a guitar kit very soon or the teacher wont let me do this :cry: .
I cant put more then 300$ :oops:

Do i have to buy a book???? or do I only need a manual plan from the beginner kit.
The school already got most of the tools I need so I wont have to put much money there.

Thx for your reply and like always have a good day.
Keeperoftheforest

Ok i found a very "popular" book, it's called Build Your Own Acoustic Guitar, Jonathan Kinkead

You guys probably heared about this book.
DO they only speak about expensive guitar or it's a book made for beginner like me.
If Im buying this book, will I be able to do a guitar alone without having to pay over 300$??
Or do you guys know a book for me?
Sorry for the stupid questions but I dont want to waste my money.

Sorry for the mistake by the way im french.
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

It's a good book. The expensive part is not necessarily how its built, especially if the school has all the tools already. The expensive part is the wood. Grizzly sells guitar kits, but they are basically assemble and finish, not much to learn there, especially for woodworking. The alternative is that you could try an electric kit....just bodies and necks will be inexpensive. THen, you could add the hardware at your own pace and budget. Worth a look.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars

- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

You should consider building a ukulele kit from Stewmac.

It's fits easily within your price range, can be built with common tools you have around the house/shop/classroom, and results in a fairly decent little instrument if you do a nice job.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Ukulel ... 3&xsr=1708

For the price you are looking at, you can get the kit with the instruction DVD, and have a little left over to get something to finish it with.

You can even review the instruction manual ahead of time.
http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-5348/i-5348.pdf

I built this very kit as my first venture into instrument building, and it was a great little project. I had a lot of fun with it.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Grizzly kit, StewMac uke and Saga Electric -- all good suggestions. You are not going to scratch build a guitar with just tools in the school shop -- The Kinkead book does show the requirements, constructing those tools is a time consuming project in itself -- Your dilemma is common -- big project -- few dollars -- limited time.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

One big benefit of a kit is that much of the work requiring special tools (bender, joiner, circle cutter for rosette, etc.) is done for you. So while you could put a "kit" together, in the sense that everything needed is in one box, and possibly hit your cost target......it will require special tools that are expensive and additional time is needed to perform these somtimes complex operations. Alternatively, you can purchase a real "kit" that has everything needed AND much of the operations that need special tooling and skills are done for you. The downside is that it necessarily will cost you more which puts you outside your budget.

Jim had a great suggestion to build a ukulele. Or you could build a dulcimer. Both would be less expensive and likely take less time........which might be better for your situation.
Slacker......
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I never even thought of the Uke kit. StewMac has a violin kit for $178....

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/5342
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars

- Stevie Ray Vaughan