I have a kit, but I don't want the guitar!?!?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
bugeyed

I have a kit, but I don't want the guitar!?!?

Post by bugeyed »

Years ago I bought a Martin HD28 kit directly from Martin, but didn't get to even start building it. It has been opened & repacked to keep it fresh, so it should be pretty much like new. I have since become involved with a certain flamenco guitar & if I ever get started buiding, would rather build a nylon string guitar kit. Now comes the question. This kit has enough wood & bits & pieces to build a classical guitar & I have a neck from a nice Tak. classical guitar. Would it be feasible to get a pattern for the classical & use what I need from the HD28 kit & fill in where I need to, or should I try to sell the kit & start over? Just looking for a sanity check here. It's a shame to just let it sit there.

Thanks,
kev
tippie53

Re: I have a kit, but I don't want the guitar!?!?

Post by tippie53 »

I think I would suggest to sell it and get a kit based for the nylon string. They are different animals and In the end you may be better off with the rekit
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
bugeyed

Post by bugeyed »

tippie53 wrote:I think I would suggest to sell it and get a kit based for the nylon string. They are different animals and In the end you may be better off with the rekit
Yeah, you're probably right. I was just thinking & I would have to re-bend the sides. Probably harder than bending sides from scratch, so maybe I will build this thing & hopefully it will be a playable guitar & then get a classical kit & have a better chance of ending up with a nicer classical or flamenco, it being my second build. I still have a couple of tools to get & a proper bench to finish.
Oh the other hand, it is a premium kit with the potential of being a very fine instrument. Maybe selling it would be for the best.
BTW The reason I'm not excited about having the finished guitar is I have a nice Lowden that I will probably prefer to play anyway. My nylon is a decent Yamaha flamenco, so a good classical kit may be an upgrade.

Thanks,
kev
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Yeah, the body shapes are different so your sides would need to be rebent. Also, the neckblock is likely different on a nylon string. And the neck on the Martin kit fits to the body at the 14th fret and I'm guessing the neck on a flemenco typically joins at the 12th fret (I'm not a flamenco expert so only a guess).

You can probably sell the HD-28 kit either here or on flea-Bay.
Slacker......
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

A conversion will not be worth the effort -- If the kit is complete you'll not have a problem selling it on EBay for a little under $400 plus shipping -- I believe the older Martin Kits are actually a little better quality then what they sell today. --- "don't give it away" EBay has a ton of users that are guitar makers.