First Kit! HD-28

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
msanch24

First Kit! HD-28

Post by msanch24 »

Hello all,

I just bought my first kit from John. It's a HD-28 kit. Super excited for it to come in!

I plan updating this thread often. stay tuned.

-Matt

Edit= any advice in any stage (including before I even start) is more than welcomed.
Tony_in_NYC

Re: First Kit! HD-28

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

My advice is to have fun! Welcome to the forum!
David L

Post by David L »

Welcome to the forum. My first kit, an HD-28 from John. The three most important bits of advice that "I" can offer: Patience, patience, patience!

David L
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hi Matt,
Thanks for joining us and we look forward to your sharing the HD-28 as it progresses.
Build on!

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

tis on the way
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Rick S

Post by Rick S »

Welcome Matt! I'm working on an HD28 kit myself. Here are few ideas for preparation before your kit arrives:

1. Sharpen your chisels.

2. Practice gluing wood together. Use your high tech spreading device (your fingers) to spread just the right amount of glue for gluing linings, braces, etc. I used a little too much glue at first and had too much squeeze out. I found that less is actually more when it comes to glue.

3. If your kit is like mine, your kit will include the kerf material for your linings in several small strips that are just a few inches long. My preference was to glue on the lining in four continuous strips. I ordered four 32" inch strips to replace the individual smaller pieces received with the kit. The smaller strips received with the kit could be used to practice making your joints where the braces are inlet into the linings (I wish I had done this!)

4. Read David's Fatso thread. Read my HD28 thread and learn from my mistakes.

5. Watch all of John's you-tube videos on various build steps. (Search for "Blues Creek Guitars")

6. Obtain and read Bill Cory's book on building kit guitars.

7. Go to KennethMichaelGuitars.com and read Ken's various "Construction Articles".

8. In doing your prep work, you'll find that there are often multiple ways to perform a particular task. Carefully consider the options and find the techniques that work best for you.

This is a start. Good luck and do post often!
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Welcome! I can't wait to see your progress!
~ Neil
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Rick S wrote:Welcome Matt! I'm working on an HD28 kit myself. Here are few ideas for preparation before your kit arrives:

1. Sharpen your chisels.
I like this! Off to an excellent start !!
My poorly maintained "Blog"
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Rick: I've actually already read your thread quite a few times. It has SO much great information.

John: Tracking info says it should arrive on Thursday. Thanks so much for your speedy shipping!

I'll post pictures of the kit when it comes in (just to show off, since all of you already know what a kit looks like)
David L

Post by David L »

Would love to see pictures of your kit when it arrives, even though we know what a kit looks like it's exciting to see the color and grain patterns of the wood, Is yours going to be EIR, mahogany, or something else?

David L