First Kit! HD-28

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Jim_H

Re: First Kit! HD-28

Post by Jim_H »

Hey John,

I have a bottle of UBeaut sitting on my shelf I'd like to try.

Would you mind giving us an overview of your process ? Did you just substitute Ubeaut for the regular shellac?
My poorly maintained "Blog"
David L

Post by David L »

tippie53 wrote:the water lacquer are user friendly can can be brushed as can shellac. You have french polish and tru oil . Lots of time to think about finish but to get to finish first you must finish
I agree with John, a prerequisite to finishing is having a whole lot of fun building the guitar. You may change your mind on which finish to use several times before you even get to that process.

David L
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

While admittedly the water borne products are not my favorites we did experiment with the Target Coatings WB lacquers and high solids pore filler. These were applied with a bristle brush no spray equipment -- good results and the finish still looks good after several years of use.

johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Jim_H wrote:Hey John,

I have a bottle of UBeaut sitting on my shelf I'd like to try.

Would you mind giving us an overview of your process ? Did you just substitute Ubeaut for the regular shellac?
Yes I used the Ubeaut just like regular shellac.

I used zpoxy for a fill, I wiped on a couple of coats of 1lb cut regular shellac. Then I used a 50% dilution (50% ubeaut, 50% DA) just like regular shellac for the FP. I have a more detailed description in my FP thread.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2845&hilit=french+polish&start=10
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

Ken - Thank you much for that reference picture. What a nice finish. Definitely a method to consider.
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Just put the last soat of KTM 9 over Zpoxy on a test peice yesterday and looks pretty good so far. Ineed to level sand but still looks decent. I used a cheap foam craft brush to apply it and worked nicely. On the LMI site the instructions suggest a Polyester "short cut" brush from HD. I tried it and liked the foam brush more. They are also cheaper to replace if you forget to wash the laquer out. Not that I've done that or anything :)
kyle
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

Placed the order for the mold today. Just waiting on that and my reference book to get rolling on this.

-Matt
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

The mold came in and I can't wait to start. Now I just need clamps. So, that brings me to my next of many many questions.

What type and brand of clamps is most versatile and durable for guitar making? I know very little about tools, so any input would be helpful. Low cost is always helpful.

Thanks!

-Matt
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Clamps are things that you can never have enough of or enough variety of. You'll always find ways to use them.

Cam/Lever clamps are very versatile and and meet a lot of the needs. Grip clamps are also very handy to have in various sizes and can be found at your local hardware/big box store. C-clamps can't be beat for lots of clamping force when needed. Spring clamps can be useful too.

Clamps as much as anything are dictated by, and determine to a degree, your building style.

Take a look through the various build threads, blogs, tutorials and videos to see the various ways others are doing things.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
darren

Post by darren »

Clamps? just got a few yesterday, still have the labels on 'em:
clamps.jpg
you may have some already.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren