John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
msanch24

Re: First Kit! HD-28

Post by msanch24 »

Well it's been a while. I finally came by some clamps and a good saw to trim the sides. I glued the tail and neck blocks today. Kerfing will go on tomorrow, provided I can get off work on time.

Maybe if I ask nice, I can borrow my girlfriend's camera and get some pictures for you guys and you can point out any catastrophic mistakes.

-Matt
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

Kerfing went on yesterday and looks mostly to my satisfaction. My biggest issue thus far has been the two joints where the sides meet. They did not set seamlessly so there are very minute (<1mm perhaps) gaps on the exterior of the rim where they meet. I can fill this in right? From what I have heard, some EIR sawdust and adhesive makes for a good gap filler.

Let me know what you guys do (if anyone has made such a mistake before)

-Matt
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

The tail wedge and neck mortise should cover those joints. I wouldn't worry about the cosmetics of them as long as the glue joint between the sides and the blocks is otherwise good.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

Rim completed and sanded. I'm in the process of putting together a go-bar deck and ordering the rods. Back is joined, and glue is setting.

I have to say, I'm really worried about how the back is going to turn out. Which got me wondering how everyone else does theirs. Feel free to share.

-Matt
msanch24

Post by msanch24 »

Back bracing is done. I used a few heavy books for that and it actually came out very well. I decided I needed the go-bar deck for the top bracing so I have made one myself. Just ordered rods from John. I really am going to work on getting pictures up at least by this weekend.

I need to do some major trimming of the back before it even begins to fit properly. Should this be done with a laminate trimmer? Are there any more effective ways of doing this?

Thanks gents,
-Matt