Has anyone ever used Cottonwood on a guitar?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Guitar Hack

Has anyone ever used Cottonwood on a guitar?

Post by Guitar Hack »

In Nebraska Cottonwood is a plentiful kind of wood. Has anyone ever tried to use it in making a guitar? Seems like there are a lot of woods out there no one has thought of as tone wood.
Guitar Hack

Re: Has anyone ever used Cottonwood on a guitar?

Post by Guitar Hack »

I'm guessing that's (lack of response) a big fat no. The reason I'm asking is I interested in using native trees to make guitars. I'll bet there are some trees like Honey locust that would make good back and sides and I thought cottonwood might make a good top.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I suggest you contact one of the tonewood guys - one of them is a sponsor of the Forum - and ask them. I've not even heard of cottonwood, but who knows, you may be on to something. If you would let us know what you find out, that would be a good thing to know.
Dave B
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Osage Orange (Bodarc or horse apple), walnut, maple, cherry, sycamore, and white oak come to mind as good to decent local back wood (not in order). I'm sure there are a few more. One day I want to build using Osage Orange myself......and make a few smaller guitars using black walnut or white oak (if I found a great looking piece of white oak). I doubt I would try cotton wood but I can't say it wouldn't work. If you put all this work into a build, it's nice to have nice looking wood and cotton wood is fairly bland. I'm sure hickory, persimmon, and other oaks would work nice......they're just plain looking.

A lot of great native options for top wood.
Slacker......