First kit build!

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: First kit build!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey Rev,
Sounds like alot of work!!
But you will have fun making dust, enjoy and please post pictures as you go if you can, we like to see what everyone is doing.

I'm currently doing an OM with a redwood top, about ready to start working on the rosette.

Kevin
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Runningdog wrote: -- it's very stiff but not very elastic. In other words, it's brittle. Handle with care and keep the work area free of chips. - I found that out the hard way, tiny bump and it cracked off a piece like a Neco waffer, good thing it was outside on the cutaway edge AND I had a small chip I missed cleaning on my work surface that left an impression on the top.
-- it wicks liquid a long way through the grain. Do NOT get CA anywhere near the top. I promise you that you'll regret it if you do. Ugly, ugly, ugly.- I used CA to join the halves and it worked fine, maybe because the center line grain was very dark already.
Tim Benware
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Sounds like you got pretty lucky. There is no end grain for it to soak into there. You will probably get much different, and more painful results if you try to use it in binding channels or on your rosette.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Jim_H wrote:Sounds like you got pretty lucky. There is no end grain for it to soak into there. You will probably get much different, and more painful results if you try to use it in binding channels or on your rosette.
Used duco for the rosette and am planning to use titebond for the zebra wood bindings and end wedge.
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you were very lucky I haven't see a res wood top that was CA'ed that didn't let a serious mark . My advice is to use any regular wood glue . If you haven't finished the redwood top yet , don't be surprised to see a glue signature .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

tippie53 wrote:you were very lucky I haven't see a res wood top that was CA'ed that didn't let a serious mark . My advice is to use any regular wood glue . If you haven't finished the redwood top yet , don't be surprised to see a glue signature .
I should probably clarify - it was "Sinker" Redwood. Lots of dark stripping. Now I will never use CA on regular redwood.
Tim Benware