notching top for truss rod

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
chris

notching top for truss rod

Post by chris »

Can I notch the guitar top through the top plate to the top bar. It seems that if I do that and bend the barrel nut down just a little the truss rod nut will be accessible.
kencierp

Re: notching top for truss rod

Post by kencierp »

This is how its done with our KMG "Success Kits" which are very similar to Martins

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/trussrodnotch.html
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I'm guessing, but it sound like your truss rod is lined up differently than the cross brace between it and the sound hole, preventing you from making truss rod adjustments. Is that the case?
If so, could you maybe enlarge the hole in the brace?
Or, is there space behind that bar to put in a hex wrench and adjust the truss rod, maybe you'd have to find a wrench that would fit and not be too large to turn inside the body.
chris

Post by chris »

No, the truss rod is sitting too high. It is not below the bottom edge of the guitar top. I'm not sure what I did wrong.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Chris did you look at this?
kencierp wrote:This is how its done with our KMG "Success Kits" which are very similar to Martins

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/trussrodnotch.html
A picture would help also ---
chris

Post by chris »

Yes, I did look at the tutorial. Thank you, it was helpful. I did post a picture in an earlier thread labeled truss rod trouble, I would appreciate any thoughts. Also, if you have any thoughts on where I went wrong, it would be nice to learn from this mistake.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

You did nothing wrong, the top needs to be cleared away and the popsicle brace also needs to be trimmed/cleared. This entire area is covered by the fingerboard extension -- no big deal. The truss rod is on the same plane as the fingerboard gluing surface so you must provide clearance. With the newer style rods the adjuster is a on the "low" side so modification of the top is usually not as drastic or some times not even required.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

BTW pictures even it repeats should be in the current thread -- we have no idea what's been posted elsewhere.
chris

Post by chris »

thanks for the help