Triple O - Cedar Top?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
JCGuitar2

Triple O - Cedar Top?

Post by JCGuitar2 »

I am planning to order a StewMac Triple-O kit and am considering a cedar top instead of the spruce top supplied with the kit. (I have a folk-size Seagull guitar with a cedar top that sounds fantastic.)
Has anyone tried this? Any comments or suggestions welcome.
tippie53

Re: Triple O - Cedar Top?

Post by tippie53 »

you should build it . I think it would be a great combination for a fingerpicker
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
David L

Post by David L »

I suggest that you get with one of the sponsors of this forum to purchase your kit, they will put together whatever it is that you want. Check out thier websites on the left hand side of this page and contact them with your requirements.

David L
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Buy from the sponsors. Better support than LMI or Stew Mac. Personalized attention, fast responses. Fresh baked cookies when you want them. OK, that last part is a lie, but the support part is true. All of my kits have been from KMG and I highly recommend them.
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

+1 on that. There wasn't a cedar top I played that didn't sound nice fingerpicked. There were playability issues on some but the sound was always great.

In case you missed it, I'm a huge cedar fan. My first ever was(is) a Seagull S6 cutaway so I may be a bit biased.
rustyjuggler

Post by rustyjuggler »

Just to defend Stew Mac a bit. I am almost finished with my first OOO from Stew Mac and I have gotten a lot of support. I always get a response for the mail I send the next day. That said it is probably not so easy to customize kits from Stew Mac. I just wanted to say that my experience with Stew Mac is that they give great support. My next kit will be from KMG because of more choices, but the Stew Mac kit is a good first guitar kit in my opinion.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

But Stew MAC doesn't sponsor this forum.
David L

Post by David L »

Just to back up what Tony said, while Stewmac is a fine company in it's own right (I purchase lots of tools and knick-knack stuff from them) while thier support may be acceptable, Blues Creek and KMG provide support on week ends through Email, telephone, this forum, carrier pigeon, smoke signals, etc... Many times on the week ends (when I do a lot of my building) I have contacted John and Ken for help with thier products and have always got a prompt response with little or no down time. I've never tried to contact Stewmac on a Saturday or Sunday but I'd be willing to bet a dollar to a donut as to thier status of support on week ends. KMG and Blues Creek only supply support on days that end with "Y".

David L
darren

Post by darren »

JC,
Cedar and Mahogany is a finger pickers favorite. It should sound great. I believe Bill Cory swapped a cedar top to one of his Stewmac kits.
http://web.mac.com/magads/Site/Stewmac_ ... al.html#73

rustyjuggler, welcome to the forum - start a thread and let us see what you've been working on!
Darren
David L

Post by David L »

Didn't mean to sound abrasive rusty juggler, sorry, welcome, and please let us in on your next project (with lots of pictures)!

David L