truss rod trouble

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
chris

truss rod trouble

Post by chris »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am currently working on my first build, a Blues Creek hd-28. I just dropped the dove-tail joint to what I presume is its final depth- it is flush with the top of the body. My problem seems to be that the truss rod is not deep enough. It is not below the guitar top and I it seems that I will not be able to get adjusting nut on when the neck is finally glued on.
tippie53

Re: truss rod trouble

Post by tippie53 »

do you have a 1 way or 2 way. The truss rod should be accessible. I have not seen this happen yet but there is always the first time. Can you post a picture ? I am sure the solution will be rather simple once we see the problem.
1 way rods , it is not uncommon to bend the barrel nut down. Ball socket allen wrenches also help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
chris

Post by chris »

I'm sorry, I do not know the difference between a one way or a two way truss rod.
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Here's a picture of a 1-way truss rod. This one is almost square, with a single rounded end that accepts the allen wrench.

In this picture, on the left side you will see the 2-way truss rod for my other build. Notice how it seems rectangular instead of square.

I hope this helps.
Bob
chris

Post by chris »

Thanks, it is a one way rod.
darren

Post by darren »

Welcome to the forum Chris!
Darren
chris

Post by chris »

Here is a picture of the offending truss rod, I hope
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

The popsicle brace is in the road , so you need to clear that and your truss rod should be accessible . Use a ball end allen wrench . Martin would cut the top right up to the truss rod brace. You can also bend that barrel nut down to get access.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
chris

Post by chris »

Thanks. I can move forward now.