side purfling question

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
darren

side purfling question

Post by darren »

here's an easy question - does side purfling have to be bent?

I have some bwb planned and haven't really thought about it before (#1 had no side purf) - you'd think i'd know that this far into the build! :oops:
Darren
mjmeehan

Re: side purfling question

Post by mjmeehan »

I think it depends on how tight the bend is going to be.
I have some b/w/b/w I'm using for a rosette and it needed to be bent. The advice I got was to go slow and easy but,-SNAP!
However, the purfling bend around the bottom of the guitar is gradual enough that it seems to be no problem.
darren

Post by darren »

I got my channels routed last night and am able to hold the purfling on the body all the way around, so it looks like heat isn't necessary. I was worried i'd be mid glue-up and have something snap! Seems like I'll be ok.

Is there any benefit to wetting the purf before installing? I might benefit from some swelling, plus it might bend easier?
Darren
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Darren, I've been wanting to do side purfling too. What size do you use?
The purfling that I have for my current build will not work because of its height. Where'd you get it, and is it only available in black and white?
Bob
darren

Post by darren »

Bob,
it's lmi's 'fine' .60 bwb. Grizzly has maple/black purfling if that's what you're looking for.

darren
Darren
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I know the "horses may all be out of the barn" by now --- but to get that frame effect, I have always used the bindings that have the side purflings already laminated to the edge so all gets bent at the same time . Tricky miterring the tail wedge but doable.
Last edited by kencierp on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
darren

Post by darren »

Thanks Ken,
will consider that next time around.
Darren
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Usually, the glue you use (if its titebond or white glue) will cause the swelling you are looking for. If you are using CA or something else, not so sure.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I now seal the purfling and binding channels top and back all the way around with lacquer. Care has to be taken not to mix the lacquer with side/back wood dust and resins then inadvertantly getting the now colored lacquer on the light color soundboard (a mess!). I use a combination of Duco and CA to attach the trim. Using CA is a big change for me, but this method makes using single strip multi layer purfling a breeze since laminating the layers is actually done last by drizzling CA between the layers after they are in place. I have a tutor in the works -- this method saves time and"tape"
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

kencierp wrote:I now seal the purfling and binding channels top and back all the way around with lacquer. Care has to be taken not to mix the lacquer with side/back wood dust and resins then inadvertantly getting the now colored lacquer on the light color soundboard (a mess!). I use a combination of Duco and CA to attach the trim. Using CA is a big change for me, but this method makes using single strip multi layer purfling a breeze since laminating the layers is actually done last by drizzling CA between the layers after they are in place. I have a tutor in the works -- this method saves time and"tape"
Ken, if you take a shop towel and alcohol and go over the sides and back really well, then put on the lacquer, would you reduce the chances of getting dark dust on the top enough to make it worthwhile?
Thanks,
Bob