All Things Are new ...

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Bill

All Things Are new ...

Post by Bill »

Well, having founded this forum in 2006 (see the archives link if curious about what it looked like), and found myself willing to pass it on to John Hall and his partners, I have to give my humble opinions about it.

This being my "First Post," (after over 3,500 in the original forum), it's gong to be interesting rejoining the group. Honestly, I guess I regret that my contribution to this place will be unknown by most and forgotten by others ... but that's life. It was my choice. It's just a shock to see the abrupt change.

It was time to move on, and for the Original Kit Guitar Forum to be taken to another plane. Honestly, it's difficult to see something you put your heart and soul into for four years, something that might not have been the slickest forum program around but had a lot of character, put into a phpBB program that looks basically like every other phpBB forum on the internet.

There are some GREAT features about this new forum: You can edit your posts as an afterthought (great! right, Freeman?), and I guess that's the best thing. It's going to be a great place to learn about kit guitars.

But, I'm not complaining. I will join and take part in this new forum, starting at "zero" posts after leaving over 3,500 posts behind on my old forum.

Things change. Enough ... and I wish John and his partners, Sean (the tech expert), and everyone on the BB a successful and happy experience with the new format and new approach. I hope it becomes the warm and welcoming place it was before. I'm sure it will, because the people on the forum - not the software -- are the important thing. Just keep it welcoming, "ego-free," asking and answering questions from each other like we always did, and ENJOY THE PROCESS!

Just for those who were/are curious about the "Phoenix" build (the original Stewmac 000 that I fell on top of), I've gotten the pieces out again, and I am continuing the resurrection of the very first kit guitar I built -- the one that launched this forum in 2006 and the http://www.KitGuitarBuilder.com website. If you want to see the posts and photos in the old forum, click here to see the photos, etc. I'll be covering it here, and also on my blog, The Kit Guitar Blog, where I will also answer questions that come to me via email. (I still get a lot of them from folks.) I am not competing with this forum; I hope that's clear. I just want to stay in the fray and answer specific questions in my own way.

Best of luck with this forum. Happy Building, all my forum friends!
Bill Cory
-------
Kit Guitar Forum Founder
See http://www.KitGuitarBuilder.com for more kit info
Building instructions for kits available at
http://www.KitGuitarManuals.com
Answers/views at The Kit Guitar Blog
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: All Things Are new ...

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Bill,
I am building guitars because of your original forum. That will always remain!
It is my hope that we see your posts regularly here in the new format, and that you keep us all up to date on what you are building.
In my book you are the "Kit Guitar Man". Thanks for everything.

Kevin
Bill

Post by Bill »

Thanks Kevin. I hope my post above didn't sound like an over-reaction ...

I'll be posting here when I can ... now that guitar building is again a "hobby" and not so much a website management time-demand, I will be able to get back to enjoying it.

Thanks again -
Bill

Ps. Did you ship the guitar to India? Is it there? Reaction from your son-in-law? ...
Bill Cory
-------
Kit Guitar Forum Founder
See http://www.KitGuitarBuilder.com for more kit info
Building instructions for kits available at
http://www.KitGuitarManuals.com
Answers/views at The Kit Guitar Blog
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Bill
this forum may have changed in appearance but not in its scope. Your thought and how you started this is a compliment to you. Never think that we do not appreciate all the hard work you did. If I failed to mention that please accept my apology as it was your vision that made KGF what it was and what it is today.
Please get with Sean so your book is still available here as it is a great reference for new builders . I will be pleased that you will be a contributor to this forum and please feel free to critique it. I what this forum to have real substance as you did. This is to be a forum for users and not just a commercial venture.
Please all of us , take a moment to think of what Bill Cory did indeed accomplish .
Thank you Bill I hope we make you proud . I know this was your baby and we want to respect it .
John Hall
Bob Cefalu
Kevin Waldron
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I agree with all the posters above me on this. Bill is THE MAN! I know I would not have built a kit without the ability to come here and get advice and ideas. Heck, I probably would have put the bridge on the wrong side of the sound hole.
Bill you will not be forgotten. Not as long as one of us is around building.
Bob
Herman

Post by Herman »

Bill,

I won't repeat why I joint the forum and what my opinion about it is. You already know all of it.

You did great.

I really have to get used to the new setup. Me being a bit oldfashioned, liked the former limited options. Now it is buzzing with all its oppotunities that I won't use.
(smilies, the quote-thing, etc.) The wide page, less contrast, extra's in little fonts, all adds each person can add with every reply makes it harder to read. But maybe I am getting older and I have to use it some time. We'll see.

Herman
seanbig

Post by seanbig »

Bill,

We all appreciate the work you put into the original website. Your work built the site into the what it is today and has helped so many people build their first guitars, second guitars and probably for some their hundredth guitar. I for one appreciate all the help you gave me getting everything up and running on the new servers. I could not have done it without your help.

After moving the pMachine software over to the new servers there were several conflicts that could not be resolved so I went forward with the new bulletin board. I just couldn't solve many of the problems incurred by the new server running pMachine and pMachine does not have support for it like phpBB does.

I would have liked to have migrated all the old posts over to the new site, but again I could not find much support for pMachine and found it to be better to get this forum up and running to alleviate the issues we were having from moving to the new server.

This is great software and it will probably take a little getting used to, but it will make things a lot easier once we all get the hang of it. One big change is you can now upload photos to the site directly in a post and do not have to find hosting elsewhere. This is great for when people need help, they can easily post a photo of what they are asking about.

If it seems like there are too many features for some people, I will be happy to edit your accounts to the essentials so that you can get used to the new format.

We welcome all criticism, it will only help make this place better for everyone. There is a section for software issues and questions to be found here viewforum.php?f=13. Feel free to ask questions and give ideas for improvement. I'm having a lot of fun setting up the site and enjoy making changes, so let me know what ideas you all have.

Sean
Sean Big
Sean@BiggerRoom.net
Bigger Room Productions - Web Design for any size project.

When You're Workin' on Somethin' Good
You're Gonna Need a Bigger Room
Dan Bombliss

Post by Dan Bombliss »

Bill,

I know for a fact your name is not all of a sudden going to be forgotten by anyone that have been around for even a little while, maybe for the people just joining, but surely they would find out before too long. I wasn't even aware (Maybe you aren't even aware) how well known your name is from writing your martin book, and making this website. When I had gone to a handmade music exhibit in Rockford Illinois, multiple people there had known of you, your book, and your site. And with that said, I believe everyone will still know where this all started.

I personally would like to thank you for this site, from when I discovered it in 2007 when I was 17, I read information on here (for free!) and learned enough that I had taken on my first build in the beginning of '09. After finishing 3-almost 4/5 (2 more nearly done projects) I'm all signed up and registered for Red Wing MN's guitar building/repair program to take it to a professional level. None of this would have been a consideration with out the sites that you had made.

Thanks for everything,
DanB (Dan Bombliss)
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Bill
I hope you put up your pheonix rebuild here. Let sean know and we can make it its own heading. Many of us would love to see it and it would make a great tutorial on just how far you can go to restore a guitar.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

Bill, the truth is, guitar building in the "BBC period" of time...(BEFORE Bill Cory :D ) Just didn't exist for the average person.
I think you've done more for this ambition of the average "Joe" than anyone in the past.
You took the mystery out of an otherwise very scary notion that "Even a guy like ME can build something as rewarding as a GUITAR!" and then gave us a vehicle to make it happen!
I think you will be widely known as the guy who made it possible for the masses to affordably enjoy luthery as a hobby. I appalude your efforts. You have changed and touched the lives of a LOT of people, and your efforts won't be easily forgotten. ;)

Ray