First Build Advice - Too Ambitious?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: First Build Advice - Too Ambitious?

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hi Neil,
Welcome to the forum, and to building a guitar. You have alreay received some pointers from guys who know, and if you allow John to help you along your journey, you should be successful building a fine instrument you can be proud of. Do not expect it to be perfect, but hey, if it turns out better than you expect it to, then that will be a plus and a feather in your cap.
Most of us here are not pros, but we can give you some insight on the do's and the don'ts.....as we have experienced alot of the "don'ts" already.
Have fun, and keep us all posted along the way.

Kevin
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

Don't forget, the spreaders have to be small enough to be removed through the sound hole after you glue on the top and back. :o
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
ngerty

Post by ngerty »

Thanks for the link and the ideas Bob, and thanks for the reminder JRHall.

It looks as if there are many different ways of standing the sides up in the jig. How much pressure should be applied to the sides? Just enough to have them upright and conforming evenly to the jig, right?

I think I am going to get a stewmac router attachment for the dremel I have. Here are a few links to stewmac products:

This first one looks like a handy device. So with this I can just adjust the depth, and then cut the channel by hand (without a stand)? -->

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Speci ... &xsr=13910

The second and third are router bits for the dremel. They look the same to me. Should I just get the one that's cheapest? Actually, can I just get on of these at a hardware store and save myself time and money?

Which size router bit is necessary for the binding channel of a D28?

Thanks,

-Neil
bobcef

Post by bobcef »

Hi Neil
Welcome to the forum. I have read your posts and I think the best advice I can give you is to SLOW DOWN. I know your excited about this new venture and I can understand that. Your getting way ahead of yourself. Wait for your kit to arrive from John. Read the instructions, ask questions and do a lot of research. There are tons of info and pictures in the archives as well as many places on the internet. Don't buy much until you have a better understanding of the building process. It will save you money as well as a lot of disappointment. Good luck on your project.
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

Neil:

I started thinking about building guitars about 10 years ago. I, like you started off with far more enthusiasm than knowledge and wanted to build a 12-String Dred as my first guitar out of the box. There were 2 people I met before I pulled the trigger and they are John Hall and Bob Cefalu. John almost wrestled me to the ground until he convinced me that it was just too ambitious for a first guitar...especially since I had ZERO woodworking experience. So I put my faith in John and built one of his excellent OM kits. Over the next year, John walked me through every step of the way via email and phone. I only departed from his advice in one way and that was my insistence in using Hot Hide Glue. Bob (aka Zootman) helped me in learning how to work with wood and freely gave advice on tools, jigs and fixtures. He is my main source of everything wood for guitars now and I'd be lost without him. Now, after 10 years...they continue to be life-long friends.

So it took me 8 years and I finally made my 12-string Dred...and John was right. Stay disciplined and you'll build whatever you want in time...but the advice for now is...stay patient and focused. Follow the suggestions of John Hall...he has seen it all and has the materials, instructions...and PATIENCE to help make your 1st venture successful. Since we've all been there, we all want to give forward in tribute to those who helped us in the past...so feel free to ask questions on the forum and let us help. Just ask... but remember...much of your first work will be a test not only of your skills, but also your persistence, attention to details and commitment to reaching a goal. I think it's great training for a young man to develop life-skills that will help to deal with all of the issues that still await you. And in the end, there's a very good probability that you're going to get a guitar that sounds better than any factory guitar you ever played!

Good luck
Dan Bombliss

Post by Dan Bombliss »

Neil,

Seeing as how I was about the same age as you when I started getting very interested in building, and seeing as I'm not a professional. The best advice I could give to you, and I'm sure plenty of people will agree:

In my first build experience, the biggest thing is understanding what each step is in the guitar building process is before you do it, read up enough on each step so you know multiple ways to go about so you have options, understand what to look for, aka common mistakes/problems with each step. Despite not having your kit, there's alot you can do now as far as reading and learning goes and overall prepping yourself to actually building.

When you get this new kit, jumping right in may not be the best idea, unless you actually do have a very good general idea of each step. I was 17 when I ordered my first kit, having the misconception that my dad had all the tools I needed for everything, seeing as he has tools for everything ELSE. Anyways, I ordered a cheap sapele scratch kit, and expected to just jump in and start building this guitar and get hands on the second I received it. Thanks to Robbie O'briens DVD that came with the kit, I had found out really fast, that I was a bit over my head, and the tool list I needed became overwhelming, along with not having the knowledge or skills to even get close to pulling that build off.

When I tried again at 19 and got a Stewmac kit, it was a different approach and mentality, and I can honestly say (from experience) that I can relate to wanting to build as fast as possible and jump right in, but you'll have to refrain at least a little, and then you will hand downs build an amazing instrument.

-Dan
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

I'd be interested in knowing what most folks think is the minimum as far as tools are concerned before pulling the trigger. I happen to be one of those who started without any power tools whatsoever...and used quiet tools for a few years. Others have waited for years to amass an entire shop full of power tools before starting their first. It's a personality thing here as well as confidence and having a sense of adventure. Based on your personality, I'll bet we could advise you a lot more effectively.
ngerty

Post by ngerty »

I'm definitely not afraid to start. I have plenty of tools at my disposal, but will need some more (I'll only buy things I can't make myself). I'm pretty confident in my ability to pull it off with enough preparation and planning (and reading). I'm patient enough for the work itself, but need to make sure I don't rush things because I'm overly enthusiastic or trying to be really productive.

How many days will it take to get the wood acclimated? I've read a week, but that will be very tough. "A week!" I keep saying to myself...

I'll dry fit and clamp everything in the jig for that time though.

Oh yeah, and I ordered the kit today. A Martin D-28 style kit from Blues Creek Guitars!

When I am ready to start working, can I work on multiple parts of the guitar at the same time? I don't want to rush things or be careless, but I do want to be productive. For example, When the lining and the two blocks are being glued, can I start working on the top and back with the bracing? Well, I know I can, but is it not advisable?
Last edited by ngerty on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I'd give it about a week to acclimate to your environment.
Yes, you can do things simultaneously. I just boxed mine up and am working on the neck at the same time.
Sure, while the kerfing and end blocks are glued up, you can start on the bracing. When the top bracing is being glued, work on the back.
Be sure to read about each step as you go, so you don't get ahead of yourself.
For example, I put in my frets before I drilled for the position markers. Trying to sand these flush without hitting frets was tough.
On your first build, however, I wouldn't try too many things at once. Be sure to master each step as much as you can: read up on it, go slow, be precise. If you do too many things, you're bound to forget something.
But once the glue up is going on your sides, you're essentially finished with that, and can start shaping your braces.
You want to do as good a job on this first one as you can, so you can get your father to spring for that great wood you want for the next one.
So maybe slow it down a bit.
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

Since John only bends up stabilized wood and his shop is fairly well controlled, these sides should be stabilized in your shop within a week. Hopefully you have managed to keep your shop at 40-50%. If not, you're likely to find problems somewhere down the road.

The best way to assure that you'll stay focused and not get ahead of yourself is to record detailed notes in a journal and take lots of progress pics which I hope you will post on the forum. Personally, I found it helpful to write out detailed step by step operations before I actually performed them...it gave me a chance to review and edit with myself as well with the help of others. Best of luck and feel free to ask away.