How much does your guitar(s) weigh?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
seanbig

Post by seanbig »

What type of scale does everyone use to weigh their guitars?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been posted from pMachine.You can read the old posts in the pMachine forum: http://www.KitGuitarsForum.com/forum/th ... 52_0_2_0_C
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm using an inexpensive electronic bathroom scale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been posted from pMachine.You can read the old posts in the pMachine forum: http://www.KitGuitarsForum.com/forum/th ... 52_0_2_0_C
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

I purchased an old digital scale that was once used at a supermarket. I think I got it off eBay about 10 years ago or so.Hey John, I'm not sure I have enough years left in me to ever cross the century mark! I too thickness my sides to .080 to .085, the backs to .090 to .095. Tops are generally .100 to .110, depending on stiffness. My bridge is smaller than the typical Martin bridge, and my finishes are very thin. I don't necessarly start out to build the lightest guitar possible, but I do enjoy playing a light guitar, so I try to avoid adding unnecessary weight. My f/b extension adds some weight, but I was conscious about keeping the weight gain to a minimum. Some of the best sounding guitars I have heard have been on the lighter side, so there must be something to it.Ken

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

WIKAPEDIA SAYS:Acoustic guitars weigh between 5 and 7 pounds.How about that. You guys need to know how much your finished guitars weigh, so come on and get r done. Who has a Taylor dred, rosewood, that they can weigh for a comparison.My coco dred sounds FANTASTIC, so the weight has not affected it in this way, it just feels heavy compared to......the Palo Escrito dred. Both have electronics in them, the coco guitar has a sapele neck....which is heavier than Hog, the Palo has a hog neck. No question the Coco is a heavier, more dense wood than the Palo, but both are rosewoods. Thickness was approx. the same both guitars.Kevin

JJDonohue

Re: How much does your guitar(s) weigh?

Post by JJDonohue »

Factory guitars weigh far more that the those that builders make. Mine are 4-5 lbs but total weight is meaningless IMO.

I have a triple-beam balance in my shop and use it to weigh components as I build. Most of my attention is with the mass of the bridge, braces, neck, top and back. I weigh and record everything and later try to draw conclusions as to where it makes sense to keep components within a certain weight range. Think about how much more difficult it might be to excite a bridge weighing 50 grams as opposed to one weighing 25 grams. The laws of physics help us to understand how we can use them to our advantage. Not to say that mass is the most important criteria. Building responsive guitars has more to do with designing a total system where components work together. Mass is but one issue. Equally important if not more so are the density, dryness and stiffness of the top wood. I wouldn't get hung up on total weight but it's always good to collect data if only for comparison sake...just don't form conclusions based on limited data.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

JJ,
I really like, and appreciate your response. Great food for thought. I only hope I make enough guitars to really put those principles to the test.
Thanks.

Kevin
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:JJ,
I really like, and appreciate your response. Great food for thought. I only hope I make enough guitars to really put those principles to the test.
Thanks.

Kevin
The Yellow text you used is nearly impossible to read on the blue skin that I'm using.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Yeah, I changed it because I thought it would look good against the dark brown, which is waht I'm looking at. I didn't realize we could change our own back ground colors.

Kevin
seanbig

Post by seanbig »

I'm hoping to get the WoodTones style to have good contrast so that people do not have trouble reading posts. You can also change your style back to subsilver2 here. ucp.php?i=173
Sean Big
Sean@BiggerRoom.net
Bigger Room Productions - Web Design for any size project.

When You're Workin' on Somethin' Good
You're Gonna Need a Bigger Room